• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

what plane was this

Hi Josie, It appears that Martinet aircraft were used at RAF Milfield in Northumberland. The link below has a lot of info click on 'Fighter Leader School' in the left menu, then scroll about halfway down the page to see info. An interesting line from the web page is:-
'The towed target operators were unique, in that they were volunteer aircrew, well all aircrew were volunteer. but they had no award of an aircrew wing, (brevet), to indicate their airborne duty'

https://www.milfield.org.uk/

Last edited:
thank you all i will check all you have given me
your help is very much appreciated i now have something to go on
josie

The aircraft is either a Martinet or a Blackburn Skua. Im afraid I am not 100% sure which. The aircraft is definatly not a Vought Corsair.

Hi Maypolebas, That's the one, we now have to find where the RAF used them. The bunch sitting on the plane in Josie's photo appear to be wearing 'denims' overalls so they would be ground crew. I used to wear them most of the day when I was in the RAF.
Wikipedia gives a lot of detail on the Martinet, apparently 1,724 were built

Back