• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

what plane was this

Josietrue, I was flying in the RAF shortly after the war (1948-56) and thought I may be able to help you, but when I clicked on to your attachment I get "Invalid attachment" ??? Eric

hi postie
he does a bit does'nt he he was well over 6 foot and one of the funniest men i knew he loved his garden and kept pigeons

The photo's a bit indistinct, but it's almost certainly a Blackburn aircraft, probably a Roc. This was a Fleet Air Arm aircraft designed as a dive-bomber, I believe, but probably used for other duties too.

G

The fin on the aircraft in Josie's photo looks like one on a Harvard trainer, but Harvard's didn't usually have spinners on their props.

Its got me beat I'm afraid, I am more familiar with the 'biggies' on Bomber Command and Transport Command so cannot help. Eric

It does look like those in the pictures my brother had taken on HMS Venerable so I'd go with it being a Fleet Air Arm plane.

Its a Vought Cossiar a American aircraft mostly Fleet Air Arm i have many parts to this plane if you need any more info please contact me i hope this was helpful to you.

hi oisin
could you tell me what a fleet air plane is and was it a bomber as i have no idea about planes
thank you josie

hi donbogen
i am a bit confused you say american aircraft did the english fly them as my uncle was english please excuse my ignorence
as i no nothing about planes i am trying to find out where my uncle was stationed during WW2 and did the plane fly over germany
with thanks josie

The F A A was the air force of the navt ie carrier borne aircraft the Cossiar in your pic cut their teeth in the Pacific with the US navy we had them as well on ships like Vitorious,Formidable etc all suffered under Jap Tocka attacks thanhk god for amoured decks the Cossiar was a fighter bomber.

The 'gull wings' on the aircraft in Josie's photo confirm it is a Corsair, but Josie's uncle looks to be wearing a RAF uniform. Were Fleet Air Arm uniforms the same ?

thank you
all for replying to my request donbogen you have very helpful i am trying to get his war records but as i am only his neice i dont know if they will give them to me but at least i know what he was doing in WW2 thanks to you
josie

The Fleet Air Arm was the early name for the aircraft naval aircraft squadrons. According to Wikipedia the Roc was a fighter aircraft but these were often converted to carry aerial torpedoes. And although primary a naval plane it may also have been used by the RAF. A lot of aircraft were used by both with slight alterations and changes of name. Further than that I'm afraid I can't help you.

Hi jossie this plane was not in Europe it mainly used on Carriers it was land based at Ford air station and my otherFAA stations im a plane buff so i cannot help you on uniforms i bet theres a few folks on here who can help you Good Luck with this please contact me for info on Cossiar i am reading the time of a Cossiar 1944 clock now oh yes English@Commonweth pilots few these.

hi donbogen
i would be very grateful for any information you can give me i am trying to put together a folder for my uncles son who is getting on in age about his fathers time during WW2 with photos of the type of plane he was flying on i dont think he was a pilot andwhere he would have been stationed
so any help would be appreciated
josie

From his uniform he was not air crew, possibly airframe, engine or instrument fitter/mechanic (in my humble opinion equally important to air crew), in other words he was non flying. Also he was RAF and not Fleet Air Arm. Eric

Last edited:
HOLD THE FRONT PAGE its a Blackburn Roc STUA a RAF@FAA aircraft a plane i do not know much about i have never seen one or any parts of one JOSSIE i got it wrong sorry hang head in shame its aRoc deafo so you can take from here REGARDS

Hi if you google Blackburn Roc theres a site with all the RAF@FAA units if you have any ploblems you can get back to me BUT its not a Cossiar as i first thougt they both have swept wings? PS i will also have a look REGARDS

thank you both back to the drawing board i will google blackburn see what i can find in mean time if you can find anything i will be gratefull
josie

No way is that a Corsair, absolutely nothing like one, even though they were used by the FAA in WW2. It's almost definitely a Blackburn aircraft, but whether a Roc or a Skua is hard to tell. There is just the slightest possibility it may be an Australian aircraft called the Wirraway, but again hard to tell for sure.

What someone called 'swept wings' on a Corsair are actually known as 'inverted gull' wings, very similar to a Stuka.

G

That plane appears in a book I have and it was called a Miles M25 Martinet, (Target towing monoplane) which had a Bristol Mercury engine.

That plane appears in a book I have and it was called a Miles M25 Martinet, (Target towing monoplane) which had a Bristol Mercury engine.
Hi Maypolebas, That's the one, we now have to find where the RAF used them. The bunch sitting on the plane in Josie's photo appear to be wearing 'denims' overalls so they would be ground crew. I used to wear them most of the day when I was in the RAF.

Hi Josie - Entering this 'which raf squadrons used Miles Martinets' into Google gives some squadron numbers and places ...

Know what, Baz? I think you could well be correct. I've just checked my books (which maybe I should have done before....) and it certainly looks just like an M25. The winch for towing the target was mounted on the port (left) side of the fuselage below the cockpit canopy, but is probably obscured in the photo by all the airmen. The M25 is a rather obscure WW2 aircraft, it has to be said, and I don't think very many were built. Well done!

G

Back