• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What music brings out your emotions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably been said earlier in the thread but with me it's where I was when the music was playing and the memory chord it strikes. Janis Ian's 'Jesse' takes me to Lake Bala on a sunny morning driving through the Welsh Hills with all my life before me and when I hear 'White Dress' I'm back at Cropredy for Fairport Convention's first festival. Just been playing 'Let It Be Me', my favourite Everly's song. I like the original though, not one of the later versions recorded at concerts. Someone once wrote 'Nostalgia is a pleasant kind of ache' and how right they were.

It's probably been said earlier in the thread but with me it's where I was when the music was playing and the memory chord it strikes. Janis Ian's 'Jesse' takes me to Lake Bala on a sunny morning driving through the Welsh Hills with all my life before me and when I hear 'White Dress' I'm back at Cropredy for Fairport Convention's first festival. Just been playing 'Let It Be Me', my favourite Everly's song. I like the original though, not one of the later versions recorded at concerts. Someone once wrote 'Nostalgia is a pleasant kind of ache' and how right they were.
Let it be me was originally a French song but nowhere near as good as the Everlys.

Had the great pleasure of seeing CHER last night in Toronto. She looks and sounds incredible...I haven't seen her live since she appeared on Ready Steady Go with Sonny Bono doing I GOT YOU BABE. She actually did this song with a simulated duet with Sonny, I got a real kick out of this.
Dave A

Last edited:
Recently in need of a lift, I picked up a "last night" from a couple of years ago on youtube. The conductor that night was Finnish and "Finlandia" was being played. I believe a hymn called "Be still my soul" was taken from this piece. Lovely bit of music.

Re post #204, I'm a great fan of Gilbert Becaud, good voice and sings with feeling, I particular like his duet with Isabelle Boulay singing et Maintenant, another French singer I like is the late Edith Piaf. In my youth I loved Jazz, when I was stationed near London used to go to see Humphry Lytlleton my favourite. I now like classical music, particular opera music by the likes of Verdi and Puccini. Never much on Pop apart from the Beatles and singers such as Frankie laine, Frank Sinatra Nat King Cole and similar, no time for modern pop. I spend a lot of time listening to music, still play a Frankie Laine LP called 'Mr Rhythm' I bought for my Wife when serving in Hong Kong in 1953. Strange how your taste changes with Age. Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back