• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

What music brings out your emotions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't around in the 1930s but for cheerful, uplifting music I would have to go for songs (and dances) from the Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers musicals. Examples include "Cheek to Cheek"; "Let's face the music and dance"; "Isn't it a lovely day"; "Top Hat"; "The way you look tonight"; and "Pick yourself up". Dave.

I have to mention one song I do enjoy, Joe Fagan singing "As time goes by" from the TV show that I never get tired of watching the reruns over and over

This thread's going well, isn't it ?
"Morning", from the Peer Gynt suite, (Greig). You can "hear" the sun coming up, birds singing. Makes my hair stand on end.
reminds me of the music teacher at elliot st school,he was always playing this.:joy:

I wasn't around in the 1930s but for cheerful, uplifting music I would have to go for songs (and dances) from the Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers musicals. Examples include "Cheek to Cheek"; "Let's face the music and dance"; "Isn't it a lovely day"; "Top Hat"; "The way you look tonight"; and "Pick yourself up". Dave.
I couldn't agree more. The 30s were a time of depression and the music was obviously trying to lift people's spirits.
Radio 2, on saturday night, Lisa Tarbuck usually plays a few toe - tapping examples. Certainly cheers me up !

It's probably been said earlier in the thread but with me it's where I was when the music was playing and the memory chord it strikes. Janis Ian's 'Jesse' takes me to Lake Bala on a sunny morning driving through the Welsh Hills with all my life before me and when I hear 'White Dress' I'm back at Cropredy for Fairport Convention's first festival. Just been playing 'Let It Be Me', my favourite Everly's song. I like the original though, not one of the later versions recorded at concerts. Someone once wrote 'Nostalgia is a pleasant kind of ache' and how right they were.

It's probably been said earlier in the thread but with me it's where I was when the music was playing and the memory chord it strikes. Janis Ian's 'Jesse' takes me to Lake Bala on a sunny morning driving through the Welsh Hills with all my life before me and when I hear 'White Dress' I'm back at Cropredy for Fairport Convention's first festival. Just been playing 'Let It Be Me', my favourite Everly's song. I like the original though, not one of the later versions recorded at concerts. Someone once wrote 'Nostalgia is a pleasant kind of ache' and how right they were.
Let it be me was originally a French song but nowhere near as good as the Everlys.

Had the great pleasure of seeing CHER last night in Toronto. She looks and sounds incredible...I haven't seen her live since she appeared on Ready Steady Go with Sonny Bono doing I GOT YOU BABE. She actually did this song with a simulated duet with Sonny, I got a real kick out of this.
Dave A

Last edited:
Recently in need of a lift, I picked up a "last night" from a couple of years ago on youtube. The conductor that night was Finnish and "Finlandia" was being played. I believe a hymn called "Be still my soul" was taken from this piece. Lovely bit of music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back