• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What make is this?

motorman-mike

Brum visitor who stayed.
Came upon this photo of a Lewis's van. It looks a bit like a 1930's Bristol to me but never heard of Lewis's running them. Anyone say for certain what make it is please? (The Registration letters are for Liverpool).

MM as the reg is liverpool does that mean lewiss were a liverpool co and it was registered there or was it a second hand truck? tried highlighting rad grille but just blurred sorry MM no idea and if you dont know I've got no chance:D

Yes, there is a Lewis's in the centre of Liverpool. It is still open, but when we went there towards the end of last year, we were practically the only shoppers in there. Most of the till areas were closed and not many staff about. A new shopping complex has just opened next to Albert Docks, so that could spell the end for all of the old big stores. Anyway, no idea what the vehicle is.

Thanks for that Duggy at least I know that it was registered there and the livery was almost certainly done there then? I think?:)MM?good reg KF 5583 ?

Lewis's did start in liverpool, and I think it's head office was there, so that would be why it was a liverpool reg.
mike

Was hoping someone might throw some light on this, I only thought it could be a Bristol because the grille looks similar to the one on this bus but with extra struts down it. Could have been a sold off bus rebuilt as a van perhaps after the Second War, but that is only a thought.

Thanks Jemina, I put Foden on the Google and turned up a great selection of photos but none matched with the radiator so it's still a mystery.
Mike

Re: Lewis's Van, I think it may be an Albion with some sort of protective grill in front of the radiator. I used to love going to lewis's in the Priory when I was a lad, I remember a boy falling down the lift shaft, he was killed, and the next time we went, I went down to the basement, to see if I could see any blood, horrible child.

The Lewis's van is a TSM (standing for Tilling Stevens Motors) like the Thames valley bus below, a B10 model of the early 30s, and the bus is a Bristol B type of the same period, like the Stockton bus below.
The open-able roofed body on the Bristol was know as the "All weather sun saloon" and was popular in the 30s for coaches and buses, a transition between the canvas topped charabanc and a fully enclosed coach.

It's a Tilling Stevens folks!
Thats great Lloyd, thanks for solving that one (another pint I owe you in the Anchor!) As a result, out of interest, I Googled Tilliing Stevens and found this pic.

I also Googled Lewis's to learn that the Liverpoll Store is still trading and in line for a multi thousand pound refurbishment according to the Liverpool Echo newspaper. Wonder if that will happen in these dodgy times.
Mike

Back