• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What is the regiment?

Do you know who the gentleman is Mabel?. We had a wonderful find yesterday. We have some very large unframed old photo's of people unknown. All we do know is they were in Mrs Nevilles outdoor Holte road when she passed away. Her neighbour May Ward was left them and threw them out. We have had them ever since and when we decided to frame them properly looked on the back of the one and there was a beutiful photo of an unknown soldier. I'm going to take a look to see if I can read the name on his hat badge. He is on the top of the landing in his new frame taking pride of place. Hope you have luck with your badge as I'm sure you will. Jean.

Yes Jean, he was(is) my late father Alfred Frank Acton. He was in the RA during the war but this badge doesn't seem to match?

Mabel

Hi Mabel
yes you are quite correct your father was in the R.A that is the other badge of the RA the "flaming bomb" a similar badge is worn by the R.E.s the only differance is the number of flames it has the motto "Ubique" at the bottom

Here is the other photograph of him. Any idea of the emblem obove the single stripe? Is that the same?

mabel

Hi Mayfield, During WW2 the RA to save metal stopped issuing the Gun cap badge and used the one on your Dad`s forage cap, it was used on Dress Uniforms as a collar badge, with one stripe his rank was Lance/ Bombadier, i can`t see it properly but above his stripe it looks a trade badge with a bomb laurels underneath, i can`t remember seeing one, on my N/S 1947 i was issued with a brown plastic bomb cap badge, only later 1948? they went back brass, the Latin word "Ubique" means "Everywhere". Len.

Last edited:
Mayfield, Your Dad may have had one out of two of these trade badges, L = Layer, MG = Machine Gunner. Len.

Mayfield, An RA Gun Layer was the Gunner who used the range & trajectory in degrees info given by the Gunner who was using the Rangefinder and the Layer basicly pointed the Gun in the direction of the target, your Dad must have been in the Field Artillery rather than the Anti-Aircraft Artillery, his trade will be on his records also the regiments he was in and his promotion, medals & any sickness or wounds plus if he had been a bad boy!. Hope you can understand my explanation. Len.

Len, my father was in the 68th Field Regiment of the RA. On his notification of Pending Leave dated 15th January 1946 it gives his current rank as UL/BDR? What would that be?

Here is a photograph of his medals 1939-45 Star, Italy Star, Defence Medal and the 1939-45 War Medal.

Mabel

Mabel, U, L/BDR = Lance/Bombardier equivalent rank to a Lance/Corporal in a Infantry regiment etc, U = unsubstantative or unpaid, a sort of trial period until it was posted on Part - Orders were all promotions were listed and then were you paid. Len.

Mabel, U, L/BDR = Lance/Bombardier equivalent rank to a Lance/Corporal in a Infantry regiment etc, U = unsubstantative or unpaid, a sort of trial period until it was posted on Part - Orders were all promotions were listed and then were you paid. Len.

Thanks Len :)

I have noticed that on my fathers war records it states under Postings '68 Field to Y List 23/1/42', and under Promotions 'Appt D1/C 17/11/42'.

Can anyone tell me what the 'Y list' was, and what was a 'D1/C'?

Mabel :)

keith what loveley pics of your dad. i can see the resemblence. you must be very proud to have them. lyn:)

keith what loveley pics of your dad. i can see the resemblence. you must be very proud to have them. lyn:)

Lyn - thank you for that :). He was a wonderful father with a charming personality, very patient and a great sense of humour. I miss him terribly....

mabz

Here is the other photograph of him. Any idea of the emblem obove the single stripe? Is that the same?

mabel

Mable can you make the photo any bigger as Dennis asked:redface:

But I still think its a Torch

Last edited:
Back