• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Definition of “Brummie”, “Astonian” etc

That settles it then, I am most certainly a true Brummie! I thought I was the only one to call them that.

Incidentally, not sure exaclty where, it may have been Delia Smith, but I have read that pikelets and crumpets are actually two different things, although similar.

Shortie

That settles it then, I am most certainly a true Brummie! I thought I was the only one to call them that.

Incidentally, not sure exaclty where, it may have been Delia Smith, but I have read that pikelets and crumpets are actually two different things, although similar.

Shortie

:shh::shh: shortie dont mention crumpets and pikelets if frothy is around..me and him have a long standing debate on those:D:D

right back to topic....so pleased i am a true brummie:):)

lyn

Last edited:
You can always tell a true Brummie bloke from a Black Country bloke. The Brummies got his hands in his pocket...... and the Black Country blokes got his in someone elses HA HA .Max

Whatever you call them, they are delicious, especially with a dollop of Lurpak on, and occasionally a smear of Bovril. Yum!

OH no not Bovril, nearly as bad as Marmite (in my opinion), used to love toast and dripping though with the meaty bits from the bottom of the basin.

Oh I like Bovril, it's not as sharp as Marmite, but I will even have that occasionally if there is no Bovril left. It's only occasionally I put that on pikelets, I prefer Lurpak and preferebly enough to float a boat on That reminds me, I have to put Bovril on my shopping list!

I was born in 1956 in Bordesley Green. My parents were born in Aston and Balsall Heath back in the 1920's, both sadly gone now. My grt,grt,grt,grt Grandad on my Father's side was born in or by Kingsbury, Warwickshire in 1741. I class myself as a Brummie but i have to admit that i no longer like the city and what it has become. Birmingham has lost it's identity. I think our accent is awful. Try listening to yourself speak on a recorded message. I now live in Marston Green which comes under the umbrella of Solihull. The areas of Sparkbrook, Balsall Heath, Small Heath, Bordesley Green were where my ancestors were living a hundred years ago. I wonder what they would think if they came back now?

I am a brummie who had never caught a buzz in her life, neither did my parents or grandparents - at least on my maternal side. My father's mother used to say 'lung' instead of 'long' but I am not sure where that comes from, I cannot remember anyone speaking like that.

As I type this, I am wondering if some accents just develop on their own. My four year old grandson is called James, but he always says Jayams - nobody else says that. He can spell it correctly though, which is half the battle!

, Small Heath, Bordesley Green were where my ancestors were living a hundred years ago. I wonder what they would think if they came back now?[/QUOTE]

Hi Steve,

I was born in the Bordesley Green and Small Heath area (Carlton Road) 84 years ago. I daren't tell you what I think of it now as I would probably be locked up. I sympathise with those old Brummies who, for whatever reason, are still there.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Old Boy ,well you dont have to feel sorry for me mate, i love it here. Max

Hi Shortie

Do you come from the posh end of Brum? Oops sorry there is'nt one. A buzz is a buzz.

What I want to know is when does "Brummie" become "Black country"?

When you hear people try to send-up the Brummie accent most of the time they imitate the Black country twang.

With regard to the Pikelet/Crumpet debate... without a doubt they are called Pikelets.
See the well established thread called "What do you call these?..."

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29133

Hi Shortie

Do you come from the posh end of Brum? Oops sorry there is'nt one. A buzz is a buzz.

What I want to know is when does "Brummie" become "Black country"?

When you hear people try to send-up the Brummie accent most of the time they imitate the Black country twang.

With regard to the Pikelet/Crumpet debate... without a doubt they are called Pikelets.
See the well established thread called "What do you call these?..."

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29133

When he starts talking in Yam Yam instead of sounding like wot I do, mate.....LOL

Back