• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What Happened To The Lake House In Boldmere

I'm pretty sure that these threads have connections to your Yates Bernie. There is a way to do a link but I've forgotten how to do it - sorry - just copy and paste them into your browser.

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/yates-and-sons.10465/

I feel sure there is a thread about James Yates, the pewterer, on the forum but I can't find it. There are two lots of Yates families who are very similar. However, I do know that an Edwin, lived opposite St Michael's church in Boldmere in a VERY big house!

The Sutton Yates were edge tool manufacturers with a huge factory in Aston.

Thanks to our old friend Astonian for the thread on Edwin Yates. From this it looks like he was the son of John Yates and would correspond to an Edward in the 1841 Census, the ages giving the roughly the same birth date.

Another member of the Yates family was Henry E Yates who lived at 'Normanhurst' which was opposite St Michael's church on Boldmere Road, corner of Station Road. Just to give you some idea of the opulence of the building here are a couple of pictures of the interiors:

I think the first one must be the ballroom and the second is obviously the billiard room (only need Colonel Mustard and a lead pipe....)

Attachments

• Normanhurst Mar 1898.jpg
    Normanhurst Mar 1898.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Normanhurst 2.jpg
    Normanhurst 2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 22
Another member of the Yates family was Henry E Yates who lived at 'Normanhurst' which was opposite St Michael's church on Boldmere Road, corner of Station Road. Just to give you some idea of the opulence of the building here are a couple of pictures of the interiors:

I think the first one must be the ballroom and the second is obviously the billiard room (only need Colonel Mustard and a lead pipe....)
Went to St Michaels as a child after I left the Baptist church, prettier girls, buses et Al were beginning to take a back seat but remember the big houses up Church Road

By the way do Boldmere St Michaels still play up there?
Bob

Yes Bob, Boldmere St Michael's still plays at the ground in Church Road. My husband has started going there as it was getting too difficult to go to the Blues, and he can have a pint at half time or a cup of tea!

The obituary of John Yates in post 172 says that he died at the ripe old age of 90. “Without any resources, excepting those supplied by an active and industrious disposition, by sheer perseverance he placed himself in a position of independence."

Without any resources? Its hard to believe that he did not have any resources available to him, given the success of several members of the family!

Berniesims, your post #160 requested a plan showing 'The Laurels'. This map shows the house on 'Land of Mr Yates'. I believe the plan dates from around 1871. (Original building plan at The Woolfson Centre, Central Library).

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Berniesims, your post #160 requested a plan showing 'The Laurels'. This map shows the house on 'Land of Mr Yates'. I believe the plan dates from around 1871. (Original building plan at Sutton Coldfield Reference Library).
Interesting that Mr Yates also had a property in Boldmere Road (If it was the same Mr Yates. He was obviously someone who was quite well off.

Bob

Lakehouse Road is in the 1939 'census with 20 plus houses in it, but I also found an extremely interesting Goosemore Lane entry on Google and there is mention of Lakehouse Road in that. Now we come to the vague remembrances, my mother used to go to a hairdresser on Chester Road, somewhere near the coal merchants on Chester Road and on more than one occassion we went to a house in Lakehouse Road with a lady friend of my mother's and I can remember that it was very like the house at 369 Court Lane where I was born. The look is what I now call affluent 1930s middle class home, hall with coatstand, stairs in the hall, front room, sitting room, lots of dark brown wood. The hairdressers and coal merchants were in the older houses between Lakehouse Road and Beech or Sycamore Road, I can't remember which came first.
Bob

Hi
I am new to the site so apologies in advance for any errors..I am hoping I am on the right forum and if not someone may point me in the right direction. I am researching my family history and am up against a brick wall. My great-great-grandfather lived in a house called the Lake House on Chester Road in Boldmere. He was Captain Benjamin Holloway and lived there up to 1883 shortly after the house was occupied by a William Randle who became the Lord Mayor of Sutton Coldfield. Around 1935 or so the maps and records show the house was gone. I think the site where it stood is now 334-338 Chester Road and Lake House road next to these are named after the Old house. My question and hopes are that someone, somewhere must know something about the old house and why it disappeared, a photo, a plan or stories passed down. My mother has dementia and was the only person that can tell me about it as she once told me of a big house on Chester Road with a big circular drive. I have found the census records etc and I can't get to Sutton Library as it is shut and I live in Devon. Sorry if this is a bit long but any help is would be much appreciated....thank you

Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum so please forgive initial errors; I can say the following: I grew up in Fernwood Road almost opposite Lakehouse Road, according to my grandmother Lakehouse Road was built in 1938 and my grandparents with my father lived in the house on the corner which is 340 Chester Road and was the show house at the time and and they were the first owners of the brand new development ;they moved from Jockey Road, the house was then called " Lake House " after the original house which stood on the opposite corner ( I remember the name hanging over the porch ) 3 houses now stand where the original Lake House stood built about 1935; I will post again as I have more info but have run out of time.

Henry Edwin Yates. 1850-1897. Of Normanhurst was one of my great grandfathers. His uncle Edwin was Lord Mayor in 1865

Welcome to the forum Raymond and Brian. There was quite a lot of interest in this property when it was first posted on the forum and worth a look at earlier posts if you haven't already done so. I was, and still am when time permits, researching the lake and the Greyhound pub in Court Lane.

It would seem Edwin was the son of John Yates and his first wife Harriet not Keziah.
John Yates [1787-1876] married first Harriet Vale [1788-1845] . He married again in 1847 when he was 60. His second wife was Keziah Heaton [1819-1893 ] . All his ten+ children (born between 1805 and 1825) were by Harriet. including Edwin [1819-1874]

Back