• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What does the Service Number mean

jane k

master brummie
My grandfather was in the 15th Battalion Royal Warwicks - also known as the 2nd Birmingham Battalion. His service number was 537. What does that actually mean in terms of when he enlisted? Was he the 537th man to enlist in that particular battalion?

The number he was issued with would have been his regiment number and would have been in sequence for each battalion within that regiment, so there could have been more than one soldier with the same number within the regiment and the army in general.

For example a quick search for 537 and Royal Warks gives 6 results, I presume for men in different battalions. If he changed regiments or battalions within the same regiment he probably would have been issued a new number.

There's an article on findmypast that explains it better...

Would anyone know what "rejoined colours under special a. o. dated 11 Nov 1899" would mean please. :)

I would imagine so - possibly they called up recently discharged soldiers under a special order.

• Appreciate
Reactions: AMW
Back