• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

what does snatitution mean?

mand

Brummie babby
:chargrined:Stumped! I have googled this, and it appears a few times, but I cant find a meaning.

I have someone on a census who is secretary and collector, public medical snatitution. I thought it was a typo, but it seems it is a real thing!

Any ideas??

Mand

Is it 'sanitation'? Maybe the person completing the Census had indecipherable handwriting or couldn't spell the word. Think it's most likely to be sanitation as it is connected to medical. Viv.

i thought it should have been sanitation, but when i googled it there were 6 pages of it...but not what it means

Sanitation san·i·ta·tion (s
abreve.gif
n
lprime.gif
ibreve.gif
-t
amacr.gif
prime.gif
sh
schwa.gif
n)n.1. Formulation and application of measures designed to protect public health.
2. Disposal of sewage. Apart from sewers and stuff I think it means making sure people wash their hands and generally making sure there is no cross contamination steralising surgical instruments isolating contagious people separating cooked and uncooked food preparation areas etc

What year was the census and what town/location was it from?

My guess (and it is a guess) would be that this person was a secretary to the medical officer who was head of the board that dealt with health and sanitation in that town/area.

Is this the one?

Name: Albert Derrington
Born in: 1843
Profession: Secretary & Collector, Public Medical Snatitution
Birth County: Warwickshire
Subscribe to see: Relation, Marriage Status, Birth Place, Address, Civil Parish, Area, along with the rest of the household.

Found it a few times but as said before no definition.

Robert is right, using the details from Bernard, the original 1911 image on Ancestry reads "Institution" which was transcribed incorrectly as snatitution, on the 1901 census image its clearly readable as "Secretary Public Institution" .

Colin

That's the one Bernard, although I like Colin's idea of the sneezing! Secretary and collector of public sneezes! :emmersed:

Back