• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What do you watch on tv nowadays ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am feeling somewhat annoyed. When ITV started their new DNA series I was a bit dubious, but set to record the series just in case. Was not impressed with first one, though can understand that for those not into genealogy it might have been entertaining. The second one I almost deleted automatically when I saw the awful alan Carr was in it, but this evening decided I would have a look. A bit like a circus performance with clowns , but then we were taken to a pub in Erith supposedly run by a gggg grandfather of Carr around 1908, who was a bit of an impresario and held smoking concerts. We were shown the room "where he held them''. I thought the building looked wrong and had a quick search . Result from Facebook (there are some good things occasionally in parts):
The Running Horses - High Street, Erith
This pub first existed over 200 years old and was much closer to the river than it is now but subsequent infilling of wharves and the flour mills of Cannon & Glaze meant the view of the Thames was lost by the start of the twentieth century. In 1938 major redevelopment of the Erith riverside resulted in the original pub being demolished – in fact its ruins still lie under the road and nearby car park- but a view to the river was restored. On 29th November 1940 enemy action caused the death from “bomb splinters” of the licensee, Zachariah William Coles aged 46, but his widow continued to run the pub from temporary buildings. It was extensively altered in 1974.
Funny that. Maybe ITV have a time machine and took Carr back to pre 1938.
Pity they did not leave him there

What a pity they didn't check the facts Mike. Thanks for the information. I was feeling rather jealous as the pub where my ancestors lived (Lord Nelson Thorp Street) has been demolished! Amanda's history regarding RSPCA was interesting.
rosie.

Rosie
I would have thought anyone with any knowledge at all (and remember these people that spoke on the program put themselves forward as experts) would have queried the age of the pub

The secret science of sewage. Strong Birmingham link as it was about Minworth. Interesting as it showed "pee" being used to generate electricity and research into phages for use medically. Also suggested that we could use sewage sludge as fertilizer but I thought that wasn't all that new as I'm sure we used to buy bags of such sludge for our allotment in 1970's. And the Aztec's were into this sort of thing way back.

Last edited:
The secret science of sewage. Strong Birmingham link as it was about Minworth. Interesting as it showed "pee" being used to generate electricity and research into phages for use medically. Also suggested that we could use sewage sludge as fertilizer but I thought that wasn't all that new as I'm sure we used to buy bags of such sludge for our allotment. And the Aztec's were into this sort of thing way back.
Yes Dried Sewage Sludge was sold in the 60s 70s down Water Orton Lane

Certainly back as far as at least 1873 ( see part marked in red from visit to Saltley sewage works in 1873)
visit to the Saltley Sewage Farm in 1873A.jpg

I am feeling somewhat annoyed. When ITV started their new DNA series I was a bit dubious, but set to record the series just in case. Was not impressed with first one, though can understand that for those not into genealogy it might have been entertaining. The second one I almost deleted automatically when I saw the awful alan Carr was in it, but this evening decided I would have a look. A bit like a circus performance with clowns , but then we were taken to a pub in Erith supposedly run by a gggg grandfather of Carr around 1908, who was a bit of an impresario and held smoking concerts. We were shown the room "where he held them''. I thought the building looked wrong and had a quick search . Result from Facebook (there are some good things occasionally in parts):
The Running Horses - High Street, Erith
This pub first existed over 200 years old and was much closer to the river than it is now but subsequent infilling of wharves and the flour mills of Cannon & Glaze meant the view of the Thames was lost by the start of the twentieth century. In 1938 major redevelopment of the Erith riverside resulted in the original pub being demolished – in fact its ruins still lie under the road and nearby car park- but a view to the river was restored. On 29th November 1940 enemy action caused the death from “bomb splinters” of the licensee, Zachariah William Coles aged 46, but his widow continued to run the pub from temporary buildings. It was extensively altered in 1974.
Funny that. Maybe ITV have a time machine and took Carr back to pre 1938.
Pity they did not leave him there

well done sherlock :D they should have gone to bhf:D:D:D

These last two weeks or so presenters on every BBC radio and tv news channel were continually enthusing about something called 'Line of Duty'. It was a 'must-see' and everyone was waiting for the new series.

I'd missed it on Sunday night so watched it on iPlayer. Very loud background music, loads of people shouting ... I was soon fast-forwarding Netflix style but eventually gave up on it.

I must be more of an 'old fogey' than I thought I was and wasn't one of the 10 million who did watch it ... :rolleyes:

These last two weeks or so presenters on every BBC radio and tv news channel were continually enthusing about something called 'Line of Duty'. It was a 'must-see' and everyone was waiting for the new series.

I'd missed it on Sunday night so watched it on iPlayer. Very loud background music, loads of people shouting ... I was soon fast-forwarding Netflix style but eventually gave up on it.

I must be more of an 'old fogey' than I thought I was and wasn't one of the 10 million who did watch it ... :rolleyes:
Sorry to disagree with you OM, but LoD is one of the best series produced on the BBC for a long time, I have watched all the previous series, it is well scripted, well acted and well produced, it has almost a documentary flavour to it, loud music and noise, yes, it leaves you with cliff hangers and you are never quite sure who is the villain or what will happen next.

But no, you are not an old fogey, you know what you like and enjoy and I will say this, if I had not seen the previous series, I would probably turned it off after a while as it was a bit slow getting to the point of what it was all about.

Bob

Sorry to disagree with you OM, but LoD is one of the best series produced on the BBC for a long time, I have watched all the previous series, it is well scripted, well acted and well produced, it has almost a documentary flavour to it, loud music and noise, yes, it leaves you with cliff hangers and you are never quite sure who is the villain or what will happen next.
No comment!

Hello, We have given up on the BBC, Biased Broadcasting Corporation, and now watch Channel 4, Walter Presents, the European detective series far exceed anything the UK channels put out. Another favourite is “NHK,“ the Japanese news channel broadcast in English is refreshingly watchable and unbiased without PC and WOKE, references. Their documentaries, are stunning, “Cycling around Japan, Wildlife in Hokkaido. Two of our favourites.“
On the radio, the only thing it gets switched on for now is “Test Match Special,” when it is broadcast.
Remember Sunday lunchtime, listening to “Forces favourites, Billy Cotton band show, and of course don’t forget Around the Horn,” I can smell the roast cooking now. Alf.

10 million, that’s what the BBC said watched it, wishful propaganda ! On their part.

I've just watched over the last couple of days the whole 'The Pact' series on iplayer, quite enjoyed it but thought the writer sure touched all bases, murder, kleptomania, lesbianism, child abuse, black female senior police officers, dodgy vicar. etc.
:(

I am addicted now to miss marple and margaret rutherford films :grinning:
View attachment 157490
I love Margaret Rutherford my partner gave me her book, Dread Nought and Good Manners. Her close friend Damaris Hayman is still going.She was to have made more Agatha Christie's but ill health stopped her. I know they are all pot pourris but I like them.
We are watching Long Lost Family foundlings at the moment. Old Doc Marten because they they make us laugh out loud. Partner Liked the Pursuit of Love. I thought the modern music ruined it, though I liked the music alot. I saw this when I was about 14 maybe dramatised. I thought it was better then. The eccentric father has been toned toned, he was screaming about damn Catholic sewers, then. Forgot the then actor but I think Vivian Pickles was the mother

NCIS, The Good Doctor, New Amsterdam, The Resident, Chicago Med, Greys Anatomy, Kung FU (not as good as the original but still watchable ) I don`t watch much British tv apart from real life medical programmes, Antiques Roadshow, Call The Midwife ( love Judy Parfits voice )

NCIS, The Good Doctor, New Amsterdam, The Resident, Chicago Med, Greys Anatomy, Kung FU (not as good as the original but still watchable ) I don`t watch much British tv apart from real life medical programmes, Antiques Roadshow, Call The Midwife ( love Judy Parfits voice )
I like to watch the medical programmes but find now that they have too many 'talking heads' i.e. nurses, doctors and patient's family members rabbiting on at the screen.

Fascinated by the "the Biggest Dig". I don't know why I tuned in but in seconds was hooked by the background to these bodies being examined in a huge Birmingham Victorian Cemetery. Probably because this seeming ancient Victorian snapshot bought to life memories long forgotten. Bombed out my family was rehoused in a Court dwelling somewhere in Aston. Sorry I was only 3 when we were rehoused to a council house in Rednal and cannot and cannot recall the address but Some memories haunt my subconscious mind. I recall the smell and noise more than anything. was not surprised to see how many people were crammed into these tiny places, but I suppose in those dark days there was no alternative.
Not all was dark though, I remember coming back after the war to see a lovely lady we knew as Aunt Mary (No relation an honorary aunt to my mother in the dark days). She still lived in her little house in a back court and was very put out that the council were describing it as a slum and making her move. Even at my tender age I was impressed by the gleaming brass tap (She did have running water) and the beautifully black stoned fireplace range again with every hinge and switch brassoed and gleaming. It might have been a poor dwelling but she loved it and was proud of it.
Sorry to ramble on

I like to watch the medical programmes but find now that they have too many 'talking heads' i.e. nurses, doctors and patient's family members rabbiting on at the screen.
I also love Judy Parfitt's voice and character and Jenny Agutter's voice, lots of them, and Zephryn Taitte's. I watch PMQs now and I think of dad if I look at Question Time. I Even like Four In A Bed, just for the locations , Yorkshire Farm Yorkshire Vet anything with animals of any sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back