• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What do you watch on tv nowadays ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently watched part of episode one of `The Duchess` on Netflix & it was appalling. You expect the odd f word on tv these days but this programme took swearing to a new level. Loads of f words plus a few c & t words thrown in. Why? This show was written by a woman, Katherine Ryan. Whatever happened to the `gentle sex` !

Smudger, I couldn't agree more! I don't know what everyone else thinks but just recently swearing on TV has definitely gone to a whole new level! I'm no prude and I know there's a time and place for everything, but most of it is totally unnecessary and I find it very offensive.
As for the "Gentle sex"...not many of us left I'm afraid! :blush:

Smudger, I couldn't agree more! I don't know what everyone else thinks but just recently swearing on TV has definitely gone to a whole new level! I'm no prude and I know there's a time and place for everything, but most of it is totally unnecessary and I find it very offensive.
As for the "Gentle sex"...not many of us left I'm afraid! :blush:
Agree 100% and are some of the sex scenes so necessary? I know I am old, but some TV today would have had difficulty being shown at the Cinephone. Gentle sex in this office? the language of the young ladies is littered with all the obscenities. Sorry if I seem old fashioned but somehow an effing and jeffing young lady does nothing for the female sex.
Bob

The lewdness and swearing becomes the norm as few complain, the main type of complaint seems to some from those who are politically correct.
The stock reply to anyone who who objects appears to be along the lines of "get with it, it's the 21st. century" or some equally irrelevant comment.
As Dame Edna said "call me old fashioned". ;)

The lewdness and swearing becomes the norm as few complain, the main type of complaint seems to some from those who are politically correct.
The stock reply to anyone who who objects appears to be along the lines of "get with it, it's the 21st. century" or some equally irrelevant comment.
As Dame Edna said "call me old fashioned". ;)
Absolutely!

i am no prood. i cus, but swearing on tv. is a no no. i watched rambo and the swearing was disgusting. :mad:

Pete I recently started to watch on Netflix , a series named Bloodline . It was very entertaining but the amount of effing and jeffing by all members of the cast was beyond belief . That has now finished and I am currently watching Dexter on SKY , alas the language is still rife . once this has finished , I'll revert back to the DIY channels

The amount of bad language on TV disgusts me, maybe I am old fashioned but I watch very little TV now and this is one of the reasons. I tried watching Mrs Browns Boys and switched off after a few minutes because of the language, is it really necessary ? The old comedy shows where funny without it, you did not get it with shows such as Open All Hours, Only Fools and Horses, Last Of the Summer Wine etc... I could go on, perhaps I am living in the past and should accept times have changed. Eric

There's nothing wrong with having standards Eric, and why should we accept it if it's something we don't agree with? That's part of the trouble... a bit like the Emperor's new clothes... we're made to feel that we are in the wrong if we don't approve. To me it's just a matter of common decency, and if that makes me old fashioned so be it.
Lynn.

There's nothing wrong with having standards Eric, and why should we accept it if it's something we don't agree with? That's part of the trouble... a bit like the Emperor's new clothes... we're made to feel that we are in the wrong if we don't approve. To me it's just a matter of common decency, and if that makes me old fashioned so be it.
Lynn.
Lynn, the problem is we DO accept it by doing nothing at the polling place! The problem is the people who make this stuff (globally) have more money than most of us.
I thought it was bad un the USA on the cable channels but what is on tv in hotels in Central Europe and Asia is amazing.
I am like Pete, no prood but some of this stuff leaves nothing to the imagination.

As someone said, “silence is approval”!

Lynn, the problem is we DO accept it by doing nothing at the polling place! The problem is the people who make this stuff (globally) have more money than most of us.
I thought it was bad un the USA on the cable channels but what is on tv in hotels in Central Europe and Asia is amazing.
I am like Pete, no prood but some of this stuff leaves nothing to the imagination.

As someone said, “silence is approval”!
[/QUOTE]
some one said "silence is golden" .lol

I dont dont swear,smoke or drink,or lie.;)..... When i watch a film, i dont want to hear someone call another person a QU**R C**T it shocked me..... oh i just remember'd i have left me ruddy cigs in the pub. :D:D

Unusually I have a full tv evening.
At 7pm i will watch the highlights of the Vuelta d'Espana (Stage 1) on Ch.24, then at 8pm the highlights of the Giro on Quest repeat channel. I will have to forego Last of the Summer Wine.
Miss Marple - the better of the bunch starring the late Joan Hickson, also starts at 8pm. but does go on until 10.25, so I can pick up the thread at about 8.45 when the race highlights finish and before the chatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back