• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What do you watch on tv nowadays ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my youth I listened to the Archers from its inception until May 1954. That's when I moved to Devon. Not sure why I didn't hear it but family circumstances I guess meant I did not.
The West of England had a similar programme, which pre dated The Archers by three years, but stopped sometime in the late 1960's I believe with the re-origination of BBC radio.
It was known as At The Luscombes', set in a fictitious village called Dimstock in Wiltshire. It was weekly, early Saturday evenings and ran as a series.
This was the signature tune: (Dickon O'Devon)

View attachment 147868
never heard of that prog.
The Luscombes". A weekly serial that went out on the BBC West of England Home Service from Bristol on Saturday evenings for many years from 1948 until 1964. This programme could be from anywhere from around 1955 to 1964. The story is com

In my youth I listened to the Archers from its inception until May 1954. That's when I moved to Devon. Not sure why I didn't hear it but family circumstances I guess meant I did not.
The West of England had a similar programme, which pre dated The Archers by three years, but stopped sometime in the late 1960's I believe with the re-origination of BBC radio.
It was known as At The Luscombes', set in a fictitious village called Dimstock in Wiltshire. It was weekly, early Saturday evenings and ran as a series.
This was the signature tune: (Dickon O'Devon)

View attachment 147868
Loved the Archers!

gosh that music takes me right back to our nans little back to back in paddington st...always listened to the archers

lyn

I enjoyed watching this family in the Channel 5 series ‘On Our Yorkshire Farm’ but missed the last episode so hopefully they will soon repeat it.
Image1.jpg

Last edited:
ahh the prisoner...watched it when it first came out and could not understand it..then watched it again many years later and still couldnt get to grips with it and if i watched it now i would most likely still be none the wiser:Dhaving said that i was fascinated by it and about 4 years ago i visited portmeiron where it was filmed...totally surreal.... i kept imagining that great ball coming out of the sea to get me lol a programme well before its time and all i can say is "i am not a number":D

lyn
1601479230103.png
i think i am number now not a free man

Last edited:
One of the best TV programmes we ever watched was the original "All creatures great and small". Loved the programme and recognized many of the scenes from numerous Yorkshire Dales holidays. Particularly memorable was the scene in the round cow shed - been in it when we stayed on the farm.

Completely new remake now showing on channel 5 on Tuesdays at 9.00. Totally different from the original but just as brilliant

I was an avid Prisoner viewer never missed an episode when it was on . One of my sons bought me the box set years ago , I can't watch them though because I don't own a VCR player now or I would get the converted to disc

I was an avid Prisoner viewer never missed an episode when it was on . One of my sons bought me the box set years ago , I can't watch them though because I don't own a VCR player now or I would get the converted to disc
Loved it when it was first shown when I was a lot younger but now watching now doesn't have the same sense of surrealism.

its called progress and tv has changed an awful lot since we were kids...when i think of some of the programmes i watched that at the time was the bees knees i could cringe...such as man in a suitcase..at the time it did not register but years later when i watched re runs i realised that richard bradford who had many punch ups in the series always came out of them with a ciggie still in his mouth :D :D :D happy days though

thanks for the reminder i missed tuesdays episode so will watch it on catch up and RIP dame diana rigg who passed away this month...she was my hero in the avengers

lyn
I didn't know she'd died Lyn ! Another one bites the dust :pensive: Yes I agree, she was great in the avengers.

yes lynn died 10th of this month i think her part in the new all creatures great and small must have been her last

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back