• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

What do you watch on tv nowadays ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And we've had some pretty good Australian Programs - A Place to call Home, 800 Words (Pity they didn't continue after series 3), Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, The Doctor Blake Mysteries, Doctor Doctor (Renamed 'The Heart Guy' over here) and of course Neighbours and Home and Away are still going!

Hi Jukebox, yes we do have some good ones I did like A place to call Home and The Dr Blake mysteries, hubby also loves Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries . I am not a fan of the two long running soapies Home and Away and Neighbours but they are very popular.
Wendy

Hi Jukebox, yes we do have some good ones I did like A place to call Home and The Dr Blake mysteries, hubby also loves Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries . I am not a fan of the two long running soapies Home and Away and Neighbours but they are very popular.
Wendy

Half the people who watch those think they're documentaries.
:)

Wendy

Wendylee I hope your soaps still follow the original storylines , I haven't watched any of our soaps for about 15-20 yrs . Our programme planners seem that wrapped up with characters in soaps beating or killing each other . I bet the expression" up top field" in Emmerdale was used about 25 years ago , the original title was Emmerdale Farm . Thats why I don't watch soaps

How about Love Joy great show back in the 90's but got to thinking about a series with Adam Faith can not recall the name but it was a good watch back in the 70's

Wendylee I hope your soaps still follow the original storylines , I haven't watched any of our soaps for about 15-20 yrs . Our programme planners seem that wrapped up with characters in soaps beating or killing each other . I bet the expression" up top field" in Emmerdale was used about 25 years ago , the original title was Emmerdale Farm . Thats why I don't watch soaps

Ooops William I must say I did love Emmerdale Farm when it first started.:rolleyes: Younger and easier to please haha.
But I do understand what you mean, I see the shorts of the 2 soapies I mentioned, the story lines are so over the top and not very convincing. I dont bother with them now.
Wendy

Ooops William I must say I did love Emmerdale Farm when it first started.:rolleyes: Younger and easier to please haha.
But I do understand what you mean, I see the shorts of the 2 soapies I mentioned, the story lines are so over the top and not very convincing. I dont bother with them now.
Wendy

Good for you Wendylee

A little off topic what was the radio show that came on at night about 6 pm use to catch a ride with a guy home in his MK2 Ford Cortina it was what we call now a soap something to do with farming ? help it was on the Beeb radio 3 ?

The Archers a truly British Institution
Thank you sir I was 15 years old and kinda looked forward to the show on the ride home it beat Crossroads Ha Ha

Just remembered the guy who gave me the ride was named Pete we worked for Patrick Motors on Dawlish Road Selly Oak he lived on Wolverton Road Rednal

Thank you sir I was 15 years old and kinda looked forward to the show on the ride home it beat Crossroads Ha Ha

Just remembered the guy who gave me the ride was named Pete we worked for Patrick Motors on Dawlish Road Selly Oak he lived on Wolverton Road Rednal

Well at least with The Archers on the radio , you couldn't see the scenery move like you could in Crossroads

"Thank you for watching Talking Pictures TV". I always wait for the chap to say that after watching an old b/w British film. Sort of makes me feel appreciated.

Well at least with The Archers on the radio , you couldn't see the scenery move like you could in Crossroads
You know I always felt embarrassed when ever the conversation turned to Crossroads the schtick I got for that coming from Brum I Know some folks loved it but it was a pass for me I have posted here before I use to work on Noel Gordens Rolls Royce

You know I always felt embarrassed when ever the conversation turned to Crossroads the schtick I got for that coming from Brum I Know some folks loved it but it was a pass for me I have posted here before I use to work on Noel Gordens Rolls Royce

Bob 1969/70 an ATV technician who had an account with the company I worked for picked me and a colleague up from work one evening ATV had recently moved into their new studios in Bridge St from Aston . He took us on a guided tour of the Crossroads set also The Golden Shot set , I had real good eye opener with the Crossroad set doors being screwed to walls , the door to Megs office never opened at all cue Megs hand on office door change of shot across studio, Meg coming in door to her office . The most hilarious thing he told us was the amount of bookings the ATV got to stay there at the Crossroads, how gullible people can be

A new channel has appeared on my TV the ‘Smithsonian Channel’ and I’ve just watched the 85 day battle across Normandy which took place after D Day. It was a very hard fight.

Bob 1969/70 an ATV technician who had an account with the company I worked for picked me and a colleague up from work one evening ATV had recently moved into their new studios in Bridge St from Aston . He took us on a guided tour of the Crossroads set also The Golden Shot set , I had real good eye opener with the Crossroad set doors being screwed to walls , the door to Megs office never opened at all cue Megs hand on office door change of shot across studio, Meg coming in door to her office . The most hilarious thing he told us was the amount of bookings the ATV got to stay there at the Crossroads, how gullible people can be
Gullible is indeed is the term, so I have a confession we use to wag it off from school and hang out at my friends house Tony but left before his folks came home, we would pick a name at random from the phone book and call, when some one answered we would tell them we were calling from The Golden Shot and they had been picked to be on the show, I can not tell you how many people we arranged to meet at the studios in Aston at 12 noon on Sunday to be on the show, and of course we just got better at the prank as time went on, (Lord Please Forgive Me)

A new channel has appeared on my TV the ‘Smithsonian Channel’ and I’ve just watched the 85 day battle across Normandy which took place after D Day. It was a very hard fight.
That's a regular tune in for me here in states along with the history channel and another AHC

Saturday morning watching a show called, Produced by George Martin dated 2011, who I think was infact the real 5th Beatle of course he is gone now but one funny thing he says in the show the TP paper had EMI printed on each square reminded me of Izal I wonder what it cost ? and I suppose it was to stop people Knicking a a roll or 2

Last edited:
Inspector Montalbano is a series that I enjoy watching. The programme is on tonight BBC 4 at 9pm -10.55 pm. Have read some of the books too - quite a few to get through. I also enjoy watching Columbo.

Inspector Montalbano is a series that I enjoy watching. The programme is on tonight BBC 4 at 9pm -10.55 pm. Have read some of the books too - quite a few to get through. I also enjoy watching Columbo.
I enjoy watching Inspector Montalbano even though I don’t normally watch subtitled programs. I like the scenery and sometimes amusing interplay between the characters.

Is there really anythink worth watching on TV today.Not a lot.Watched EVE tonight.How could anyone recover from the stabbing she was supposed to have had in the last series.Whant watch again. Back to Netflix

Is there really anythink worth watching on TV today.Not a lot.Watched EVE tonight.How could anyone recover from the stabbing she was supposed to have had in the last series.Whant watch again. Back to Netflix

Documentaries Edifi somthing educational thats what you want , none of this cloud cuckoo land stuff

Enjoy Netflix while you can I think its going the way of the Do-Do bird they have cut back on the shows they produce, they are 12 billion dollars in debt and are up against other streaming services coming on line, the big one Disney it will be all about content and Netflix will not have it.
Netflix costs me $13.00 a month but the last time on I logged on most my English shows I like where gone.
We have a new service here in the States called Britbox it has a lot of English shows its some kind of partnership with the Beeb and Itv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back