• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

What do you watch on tv nowadays ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Isle of man TT races been watching all week comes on real late here, the speeds these guys are going wow makes my old BSA 500 with a side car look slow or my Royal Enfield constellation 700 that took me to Bromsgrove Collage

I can't understand why anyone in the UK pays for a television service like Sky or Netflix when there is Freeview and Freesat with 153 channels (at the last count) available for free.

At my age I don't even have to pay the licence :) but the BBC want's to change that, they need more funds so that they can continue to pay mediocre talent £3 million a year.

I don't know how true it is but I heard a comment on one of the Have I got News for You shows that they pay Ian Hyslop 20 grand for each appearance.

My S/law pays £6-99 a month for Netflix but for that he can have 4 other members of the family on Netflix for free .So it doesn't cost me a penny.What a saving

I like watching old films on Talking Pictures. Watched "Operation Amsterdam", starring Tony Britton, a few weeks ago. He is Birmingham-born and today is his 95th birthday. Thought we had a separate thread for him but couldn't find it.

I can't understand why anyone in the UK pays for a television service like Sky or Netflix when there is Freeview and Freesat with 153 channels (at the last count) available for free.

At my age I don't even have to pay the licence :) but the BBC want's to change that, they need more funds so that they can continue to pay mediocre talent £3 million a year.

I don't know how true it is but I heard a comment on one of the Have I got News for You shows that they pay Ian Hyslop 20 grand for each appearance.

I can believe any figure mentioned , there was a list published some months ago . If my memory serves right the lowest BBC presenter is on between £150-200 thousand a year , take someone like Paul Martin(Flog It) £300-400 thousand a year. This will probably strike chord as to why the tv licence is so dear Eric(no disrespect) ro those that have to pay , and when you analyse what some of them do it's money for old rope

I like watching old films on Talking Pictures. Watched "Operation Amsterdam", starring Tony Britton, a few weeks ago. He is Birmingham-born and today is his 95th birthday. Thought we had a separate thread for him but couldn't find it.

here you go dave bit about tony on below thread

There are one or two former telephone engineers on BHF. There was an interesting program on BBC 4 tonight. It was all about the the telephone system.

Hi, Eric,

It was clarified later that Hislop gets £20k for a whole series of HIGNFY, not per show. Still nice money, though.

Regards, Ray T.

Each to his own. Some people love sport, and Sky provide the coverage.

I am an ex P.O. Engineer, I meant to watch that but forget, may be there will be a repeat, a good firm to work for until it was privatised and became BT Eric

I have to disagree there I have watched many programmes he has done on BBC4 and he always comes over as loving music. Regarding his voice he was after all called whispering Bob
BBC 4 when did that happen ? When I left the UK the Beeb had just 2, I only ever watched him on the OGWT from what I recall he seemed well informed but lacked a level of enthusiasm one would expect from a person bringing some of the best music talent to TV many of who we would never have seen

BBC 4 when did that happen ? When I left the UK the Beeb had just 2, I only ever watched him on the OGWT from what I recall he seemed well informed but lacked a level of enthusiasm one would expect from a person bringing some of the best music talent to TV many of who we would never have seen
They do some really good music on a Friday night BBC4 - last year they also did a 3 hour 30 year OGWT anniversary show called One Night Only. Some really great artists and chat.

Some of us might not be watching anything soon. Just had an email from BBC saying free TV licences cease from June next year for over 75's except those on pension credit. Eric

I understand that there are two types of Pension Credit. Guarantee Credit (low monthly income £255.25 for couples) or Savings Credit - those who have a small amount of savings or pension.
Did your e-mail qualify which types Eric?

No wonder they want us to pay for rubbish repeat TV.Did you see that him who presents FLOG IT gets between £300-£400 thousand pounds a year.Well he did but it's now finished,but there will be more repeats.Wonder what else they've got lined up for him.Celebrities Antique Flog It.

They do some really good music on a Friday night BBC4 - last year they also did a 3 hour 30 year OGWT anniversary show called One Night Only. Some really great artists and chat.
You have no idea what you are missing on a Friday night in the states the real house wives of some crap place or the Kardashians ?, But we do have a station here that does some good stuff its called Axis TV , a lot of rock docs, album history, and concert footage,. Just watched Heart sing stair way to heaven at the Lincoln Centre in front of Page and the boys no pressure those two girls rocked

When I look at the crowd who sit and wander around behind the news presenters on the BBC News Channel, I cannot see why it should not be financed by advertising like the Sky News Channel is. It might encourage them to cut down on the number of correspondents they seem to have wandering around the USA and the rest of the world.

When I look at the crowd who sit and wander around behind the news presenters on the BBC News Channel, I cannot see why it should not be financed by advertising like the Sky News Channel is. It might encourage them to cut down on the number of correspondents they seem to have wandering around the USA and the rest of the world.
Then they would have a surplus of money and could not ask for more

can we stick with the thread title please folks...the last few posts seem to be wondering off track...

thanks

lyn

But they never seem to charge anything for the repair.Ive got a watch that wants repairing.Got the address please
Haha yes I've got a bagfull of repairs I could do with dropping off there myself, the one thing that makes me laugh with that show is someone will come in with an item and say, yeah it's a family airloom been in the family for generations been handed down to me, it means so much to me has so much sentimental value etc then the guy will say have you had it on display, then the person goes well no it's been in the shed for thirty years or in the loft or in the garage:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back