• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What do you see

Ansells brewery and HP sauce factories John. I am trying to work out where the photo was taken. Jean.

I can also see the globe cinima I would think you are standing on the roof of the school in Inkerman St. looking towards Park Lane

the building where I was standing was in Asylum Road and Summer lane you can also see where the meet was on Saturday and Jack built a place some where in this photograph

yes M & B Barton Arms also The Globe Aston Hippodrome and The House That Jack Built.
the photograph was taken on the roof of M M Lilley's in 1956 here is the other one one of my work mates Harry Murphy

John was Lilleys in Bracebridge St or Ashford St. or a branch of?:)

Alf Lilley's was all ways in Summer lane, from the early 1800's
some information regarding the above
Luke Lilley married Mary Maria Jackson
13 August 1848
All Saints Birmingham
1851Census
2 House 3 Court Russell Street Birmingham
Luke Lilley aged 22 cooper born Birmingham
Mary Maria Lilley age 23 spectacle glazier, glass born Birmingham
Rosina Lilley age 12 months born Birmingham
This firm started out as a coopers business at 155 Summer Lane 1863 making barrels they then turned their hand to case making, a natural progression in the timber trade. The man who started this firm was Mr Luke Lilley; they moved premises a few times but kept to Summer Lane.
1864 Mr Luke Lilley and John Tyler were working at 179 Summer Lane
Coopering and case making.
1867, Mrs Sara Brown news vendor and a William Jeffery blacksmith were living at 152 summer lane The Old Asylum.
1875 the firm became known as M.M.Lilley still coopering and case making and were at 195 Summer Lane.
1884, 1886 and 1890 they had dropped the coopering and where box making
Still at 195 Summer Lane.
Luke Lilley must have died some time before 1881 for his wife was now running the business. She then called the firm M. M. Lilley's; using the initials of her Christian names (Mary Maria) for the firm's title.
Mr Newby must have taken the firm over, buying her out or marrying in to the firm more research will reveal the unfolding story.
1881 census.
180 Summer Lane asylum BR. No 4. BR. No 5. BR No 3.
1&2 Asylum Road asylum store rooms.
3&4 Asylum Road asylum store rooms.
Dwelling: 195 Summer Lane
Census Place: Birmingham, Warwick, England
Mary M. LILLY W 53 F Birmingham, Warwick, England
Relationship: Head
Alfred L. LILLY U 27 M Birmingham, Warwick, England
Relationship: Son
Occupation: (Packing Case & Cask Maker Employing 5 Men & 1 Boy) (case makers)
James MILLER U 16 M Birmingham, Warwick, England
Relationship Border
Occupation Packing Case Maker
Lucy E. SIMMONS U 22 F Birmingham, Warwick, England
Relationship Servant
Initials denote status of occupants
W. Widower.
M. Married
M. Male.
Unmarried.
Female.

Thanks John for that, was it Cattermoles then? It was opposite my Grans in Ashford St and I remember the men there making packing cases.

I moved to Halifax W Yorks 20 years ago as we inherited my husbands parents house and ever since I have been homesick for Brum . However on a day like this when I have been working in the garden I have to say I would miss the view from my window . Also is the view from my Spain house Kitchen window . Adarles in Andelucia
But you know I am still homesick for brum .
Love Jean xx

Very nice,Catsclaws, nice view tell you what, if you want a house swop for a time i,m your man,i live in redditch in worcestershire,just outside Birmingham in Redditch,NR Warwick Stratford on Avon,what can i say.
we,ve spoken before Jean can,t remember what about oh i do remember you,re a violin teacher.. best wishes Derek.

Ta Derek .. Well u never know one day in the future :) We are intending to rent Halifax house out when we retire ( Which is a while away yet ) and move to Spain so u never know we might need to do something like that when we want to visit the family In Brum . BTW Mt sister lives in reditch and all my family live in West heath . My family were all car warkers from the longbridge .. So I usually stay at mums when I get down there or I get badly nagged if I dont :)
Yus u got me right im a Violin teach :)
Its a lovely job .
Best Wishes Jean xxx

We had spent the night at Cache Creek BC in the trailer park. It was bone dry, dessert like countryside that looked like it had not seen rain in many months. In the morning we made an early start and determined to go as far as we could towards Jasper that day. We had become experts at making breakfasts for ourselves and Rupi the pug in the small trailer microwave and we were soon hitched up and on our way. It was a smooth pleasant enough road towards Kamloops…quite high up and something crisp about the air and the silence and…the loneliness.
There were a few signs here and there for pull offs but they were placed so close to the event that you were by before you could slow down…nothing happens very quickly when towing a trailer, or rather it better had not. Then there was this one place that did have advanced warning and I was able to safely pull over onto the spacious parking area. There was no-one around but Brenda and myself. I did not think that I could get a picture…shooting into the bright morning sunshine…but I did. ‘Blue On Blue’ and the color is exactly the way it was.
It’s cheating a bit I know but this is the view from my wife’s laptop in the trailer when parked in the Rocky Mountains at Lake Kamloops.

Back