• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What did you wear?

My Mum made me a Davy Crockett hat out of an old fur coat, complete with tail at the back. Wore it nearly everywhere until it fell apart.
I have a photo of me wearing a knitted swimsuit, great after being in the water ! Luckily I was only 30 3 at the time.
Later I rather fancied myself in a Norfolk jacket. Girlfriend -> wife put me straight on that little fashion error.
Bell bottoms ? What goes round ...

Andrew.

I was dressed up like this when I was little ... :)
I was two years old when I wore this hat.
index.php

Later when I was at school my mum knitted me a baraclava and I hated it. I used to wear it as she watched me set off to school then I took it off when I was out of sight. Lot of young school girls had 'Pixey Hats' in those days.

In WW2 many Birmingham parents decided to have 'proper' photos taken of their children at Jeromes Photo Studios. The first photo shows my sister and me looking rather smart. The second photo dated 1943 and taken in the same studio shows her future husband. They met and married in the 1950's. My brother-in-law is wearing 'Birmingham Mail Charity Boots' which I think were given out from the Steelhouse Lane offices.
Family_Photo__WW2.jpg Family_Photo_1943_0.jpg

On old memories, for some reason I remember being outside McGauleys (spelling ?) the toy shop on the Coventry Road, when Mum was told the king had died. I would have been 2. Possibly it was so important to Mum that the gravity passed over to me at the time.
What did I have for breakfast yesterday ? Have to pass on that.

Andrew

We wore leggings when we were little ... I have a vague recollection that I never liked them ...
OldPH009.jpg
and twins in a forum photo link below didn't seem too keen on them

Back