• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What Did You Want To Be

R

Rod

As children we have romantic notions about what we will become as adults, Firemen, Balerinas, Artists, Policeman, Train Drivers, A Cowboy/girl. What did you want to become, what was your dream. You may have even focussed on that, and became your dream.

:D I think it was because I spent a lot of time in hospital as a child with eye ops’ that I wanted to be a Nurse :idea: . Later I wanted to be an Infant Teacher again I think it was because I had a really nice one at my first school and I did loads of babysitting while growing up 8) . Later still I wrote a composition (essay) about the country I would most like to live in, you guessed it, it was New Zealand :eek: . We had just been learning in geography about all the Dairy farming and the products that came to England from New Zealand and it sounded soooo romantic :wink: . The rest is history as they say, I am a Preschool Teacher, I may not be a Nurse but I work at our local hospital with the sick children and I am living in New Zealand. It did not all come easy, but I got there in the end :lol:

I have had asperations to go into politics, theology, and rock music at different times of my early teens. Later on I devoted all my ambition into be a playboy. 8)

Unfortunately, I haven't achieved any of these goals. :cry: Being realistic, I think my only real hope was for the first - I still think the porkies I tell could well qualify me for that. :wink:

To heel the sick....................

I had always wanted to be a nurse.
No one in my family was in the profession, and I'd never really experienced ill health. So its a mystery as to my ambition.
I am reliably informed that my dog (Sandy), featured on the Handsworth site,......often resembled something from 'RETURN OF THE MUMMY'
Failing becoming a nurse..........I'd quite set my heart on being a nun. I'd been to the Gaumont and watched the Sound of Music 7 times. It seemed to have ran there for ages. Until, one Sunday, when I was 12, I got hit by a car on the Holyhead Road, coming out of church! I couldnt believe that God had let that happen to me. :( The Sound of Music is still my favourite film though :)

whats wannabee

when I was about 7 years old, I read a book( honest I did)and made my mind up that the guy in the book had exactly the kind of life I wanted.
He traveled all over the world, slept when he felt like it, ate whenever he could and answered to nobody. 8)
One day my teacher asked me what I wanted to be when I left school. No need to hesitate, I remembered the guy in the book and answered straight away. " A TRAMP, MISS" :D
Dunno why the other kids laughed. :oops:

Nothing so mundane as nursing or teaching for me....I wanted to be a night watchman in a little tent thing with a coke brazier guarding a hole in the road all wrapped up and as snug as a bug in a rug. Well either that or a STOP-GO man. How come nobody guards holes in the road any more? I mean.....they'll steal anything these days!!

I wanted to be a policeman for two reasons
1)My uncle was a policemand in oxford and he and my aunt were always referred to as our rcih relatives .
2)I could get a free motorcycle

Dad would take us down to the police museum at westwood ho on the open days , so that I could learn all about it .

It was not till I was about 13/14 that I realsied I might have to get into fights so I gave that one up.

I wanted to be a hippie when I was 15.
I wanted to be a drunk when I was 17.

By time I was 30 i was happy to be alive.

:D I was a 'Hippy' in the 60's, as I ran away from 'home' at 18 to live in London with my Aunty and Uncle. Portabella Rd, Carnaby St , all those loverly Parks 8) . Went and worked at Butlins in Bognor (Didn't like it - too big :( ) and then moved to a smaller Holiday camp just outside Bognor in Nytimber (They produce great wine there now I'm told) 8) . Thats were I met my Kiwi also working there, did beach parties, stayed up all night putting the world to rights - Peace, Love and all that (Never touched drugs though, Col didn't even like my smoking 'Baccie'). Beatles- Sergeant Pepper, Donovan- Catch the Wind and Bob Dylan , Momma's & Popper's many, many more 8) . Then we got married and grew up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.S Sorry if some of the place names are spelt wrong :!:

Closest I got to being a hippie was nicking flowers out of peoples gardens and putting them behind me ears,
paiting my boots orange,turquiose and pink.
wearing safari jackets with flowers and stuff painted on them and wearing patches on me levis .. I still have a snoopy patch somewhere

and listening to the music of the times.

Went to a few of the festivals of the arly 1970,s and had a great time.

When I was little I decided I wanted to go to America and be in cowboy and indian films - I had no desire to be famous I just wanted to ride the horses. I thought the 'actors' got to ride the horses all day, over all that lovely landscape - I didn't realise that they only got to ride when the cameras were on them.
Polly

I was inspired by a film called "Saddle Tramp",it was about an old cowboy who just travels around on his hoss.
It didn't quite work out on a bicycle though,I went back home when I became hungry.

I didn’t want to be anything in particular, I just wanted to be old enough to get a job and earn enough money to get myself out of the poverty we lived in.

To this end I quit school as soon as I was 15 even though I had three months to go. I worked casual until I was able to get a National Insurance Card. Then the world was my oyster (well England anyway).

I used to work throughout the winter saving every penny I could. Then me and my mate were off for the summer. We travelled the length and breadth of England with no more than a sleeping bag and change of clothes. Our only transport was the lifts that we obtained by hitch hiking, people would stop for you in those days.

Although we travelled north occasionally we always seemed to end up on the south west coast. Perhaps it was because it was warmer or perhaps it was because of the like minded communities in places like St Ives. Also of course there was always casual work to be found at these places and any increase in funds was always welcome.

But like everything all good times have to come to an end and by 19 to 20 I was beginning to think of settling down so I became a regular person again.

Phil

Bit boring really, like most boys of the 1950's i wanted to be a train driver, then a footballer or a pop star.

When interviewed by the careers master at secondary school i declared i was going to be a surveyor, and i remember him saying

'ok lad can you tell me what a surveyor actually does' and i had to say 'don't really know', how pathetic was that.

When I was little a neighbour was a lorry driver, he drove a an eight wheeler fuel tanker but the company name escapes me. He was a nice man and everyone used to talk to him in the street and from those days forward I wanted to be a trucker.
These next two are true I swear as God is my judge. When asked in class why he wanted to be a train drive a classmate replied "so I can steal some coal for our mom".
My sons friend said he wanted to go on the dole until he was 65 then be a lollipop man

Last edited by a moderator:
I always wanted to be a Customs Officer.
When we went to Ireland on holiday (late 50's early 60's ) the Customs Officers used to put a chalk mark on your suitcase to signify that you had nothing to declare!
I thought that was what they did all the time.

It always worried me, as a child, that I had not the slightest clue as to what I wanted to be/do when I grew up. Indeed, I absolutely hated anyone ever asking me that question. I think I found the prospect of growing-up, or being an adult, rather terrifying. Neither could I see around me many examples of the benefits of being an adult, it looked damned hard-work to me, full of responsibilities and woes. As a consequence of not 'facing-up to the future' I've tended to drift willy-nilly through life, always taking the line of least resistance, staying where I felt comfortable, or moving-on, when i did not. I've been luckier than I deserved, but that's exactly what it was - sheer luck and nowt else!

I believe that children should be shown/taught how to construct 'life-plans' ....breaking-down, into easy steps, all that they need to do in order to achieve a desired success. It doesn't matter that at some stage you may change your mind; as being 'on a plan' means that you are better able to 'switch plans' ....the importance, is the plan itself, and your adherence to it. Even if you wish to do other things between times, the plan is merely temporarily held in abeyance, until your return etc. Thus you have direction in life, via a process of steps; each step broken down into even smaller 'parcels' of things to do, and how to achieve them. It sounds daunting, but it is actually the reverse; it makes life a whole lot easier. More than most, I see the importance of such direction, having had little of it myself. However, I think it is a valuable asset to anyone.....something that can be continued throughout life. And, if like me, you don't have the first clue as what you want to do; then you plan for the best 'general position' of education/work/experience' according to your natural assets and inclinations, to befit you once you do discover a course to follow. Just waiting around, for something to drop from the sky, and trusting to luck, is seldom a good idea......and even if it works-out fine doing it that way; it doesn't offer much towards a sense of achievement.

Sorry if I've lowered the spirit of the thing
icon9.png
- but I really believe that most things are indeed possible, when you have direction. So, it best to be like Baldric, and have a 'cunning plan'! By the way, has anyone seen my turnip...?

I always wanted to be a cowgirl, western films went to my head, but i wanted to work at Roy and Dale Rogers ranch, i remember doing a essay competition for the chance to visit their ranch in America, i was bitterly dissapointed when i did'nt win. I was rubbish at essays anyway. This all happened around the time Roy Rogers visited England, did'nt he stay at a hotel in Brum ?

I always wanted to be a cowgirl, western films went to my head, but i wanted to work at Roy and Dale Rogers ranch, i remember doing a essay competition for the chance to visit their ranch in America, i was bitterly dissapointed when i did'nt win. I was rubbish at essays anyway. This all happened around the time Roy Rogers visited England, did'nt he stay at a hotel in Brum ?
yes i believe he did i was chatting about that to somebody a few days ago

from my first visit to Birmingham on Sea as a child I wanted to be the man that led the donkeys up and down the beach. What bliss walking the sands day after day in the sunshine. No thought was given to the winter time and how I would fare then. As time passed and I listened to the stories of my step-father of his war time experiences I copied him. I didn't do a stroke of work in my life as I enjoyed my job so much, I was in the Fire Brigade for 25 years. Wonderful!

Back