• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What Did St Alphege College Teach?!

bluebrummie

Proud Brummie!
When the census was taken in 1901 a certain Frank R Foster was aged 12 and a student at St Alphege college, Solihull. Can anyone tell me what they taught around this time? :rolleyes:

B

BernardR

I do not know but would assume that it was the college/school attached to St Alphage Parish Church. There still is a St Alphage [C of E] School from Pre to Junior age. They have a web site so may be able to provide a little of the history.

Just a thought but could it be that 'college' is here being used in a somewhat broad way to simply mean a school. If so then the teaching would have been along the lines of any village school of the time - reading writing and arithmetic.

bluebrummie

Proud Brummie!
Thanks Bernie. It just said on the Census he was at "college", that's all I know, I think he boarded there?! I will look for the website and see if they know anything? :)

B

BernardR

I am pretty sure that the Solihull Library would be able to help. There is an excellent history of Solihull and I have found this history circle who should be able to help.

B

BernardR

This book may help if you can beg borrow or steal a copy - Edna Handley “Memories of Solihull Village”