• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

what did it used to be called?

roger a

master brummie
am i right with the name of this pub it looks like"Sharahans"its on Rocky Lane but i wonder what its name used to be?:rolleyes:

Attachments

• rocky lane.jpg
    rocky lane.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
Corner of William Henry St.
Was once the Hen and Chickens, the cafe on the opposite corner used to belong to a friend of mine and was one of many he had around Brum, his first one being in Sandy Lane.

Thanks John I've been looking for 15mins at previous posts by your good self and others:)

It is a handsome building and a good example of the corner pub. I am glad it has survived and is still serving its community in it intended role...arkrite.

Here is a photo of the Hen & Chick's in its original form, at least as stated by Arkrite it is carrying on in almost the same purpose that it was built for. Not many of our old pubs can say that.

John if you mean the cafe on the corner of Sampson Rd and Sandy Lane then it was the best in the area. Tomato dips to die for and a regular calling place on our weekly trips to the Coke yard in Adderley Street when I was living in Sparkbrook.

Phil

Attachments

• Aston Hen & Chickens Aston Rocky Lane.jpg
    Aston Hen & Chickens Aston Rocky Lane.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 1
Phil,
Yes that's the one, Ken Willis was my mates name, he also had cafes in
Duddeston Mill Rd., Spencer St., Wolverhampton and Dudley.
Like you say great grub, needless to say I never paid for a meal.
Regards John.

yes and the gather whom bought it was from the coach and horses
on bordesley green rd bordesly green
best wishes astonian ;;

Thanks for that original picture. I can smell the beer and hear the sound of hobnails on brick pave.....arkrite.

Corner of William Henry St.
Was once the Hen and Chickens, the cafe on the opposite corner used to belong to a friend of mine and was one of many he had around Brum, his first one being in Sandy Lane.
thanks john its still a nice looking pub.

A couple of years ago Shanahans applied for planning permission to extend their premises to add to the B&B business that they run from there. They added four more rooms and they advertise as having a B&B. I would imagine that they get a lot of travellers and when the football season is in full swing many supporters come and stay there. Great room rates and you don't have to drive or call a taxi if you stay there. Looks like a good place Here's the site: https://www.shanahansuk.com/

P.S. I don't know anyone connected to Shanahans

If I remember rightly, when it first became 'Shanahans' they had topless barmaids:shocked: I bet they drew in the crowds!

macca

hi macca
yes he first openened up the pub and changing from
the hen and chicks and brought in the top less barmaids
only during certain times of the evening for an i hour
and sunday morning only
and to be quite honest it never really took off
[ the only take off it got was the ladys clothes ]
it never got packed
a couple of years before that , the tilt hammer at saltley
the one on the corner from the gate pub
that quite did,nt bring them either
some of the flagging pubs dropped the idea and started
pull them in with the open a box game ,
where you bought a key for fifty pence and and guess
the box number you open it with your given key
either you got nothink or you could have won a
cash prize of about twenty five pounds
and thats what he started when he bought the emily arms from tommy and bridgette
have a nice every body ,best wishes astonian ;;;

Never used a pub with topless barmaids, to distracting when you are watching the football or do the crossword.

Astonian ,you mention the key and box . Do you also remember the Punch Boards. Pick a number and you pushed out a rolled up piece of paper with what you won or lost on it. They were everywhere then suddenly disappeared. It does not matter what form the games came in I never won anything. On Sunday my mrs won £5 off a Hungry Horse Pub Meal. Well every little helps....arkrite.

hi arkrite
i entirely agree with you about the top less brigade
some was enough to put you off your ale
now you come to mention the old punch boards. i completely forgotton about them .but in the next breath i was
very lucky on that i did win regular them fivers
and as you said they suddenly disapeared
i have never won on the keys and i have been lucky on the totes
but now i could not win a sausage ,
best wishes astonian;;;

Back