• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

What can the Birmingham Workhouse records tell me ?

Carax

My Grandfather (Samuel Ward b 1885) was orphaned at the age of 3 and brought up in the Cottage Home of the Birmingham workhouse. He was born at Cregoe St. Birmingham where his father died just after Samuels birth.

His mother (Lavinia) died in the Western Road Workhouse in 1888.

Will the Workhouse records tell me where Lavinia is buried (and if the grave of a pauper would be marked in any way) ?

Will the records show me where Samuel went after leaving the home (at the age of 15 or 16 I think).

Is there anything else of interest the records may show me ?

I would be a long jouney for me get to the central libary, so I would like to know if it may be useful.

Thanks in advance to anyone who reponds.

Hello Carax
My 3xgt Grandfather died in the Workhouse infirmary in 1893 and was buried in Witton Cemetery. Your post has prompted me to email them for the plot number, as I had looked up the reference at Birmingham Library. (I don't know if I have to apply in writing or the cost though).
Maybe someone will do a "look-up" for you as some members go there regularly.

For information on Workhouses try putting "Archway of Tears" in the search box under the banner, and there are links on various posts.

Hope this helps,
rosie.

If you mean the Marston Green Cottage Homes for Paupers Children then yes, they will tell you the date that Samuel Ward was admitted to the homes, the date he was discharged and where to... provided he didn't abscond as I discovered one of my relatives did when I went to the library a couple of weeks ago!

"Register of Children" BCC 10/BCH/1/1/5 which covers 13 August 1884 - 24 March 1903 should include both the admission and discharge dates for Samuel. The book is indexed alphabetically so you should just need to go to W for Ward to find him.
Once you know the admission and discharge dates you may want to look him up in the "Admissions and Discharge" registers. Pages in these are in date order, with admissions for each day listed on the left hand page and discharges on the right hand page.

I found it to be well worth the visit. Fascinating to be able to see and handle the original registers.

carax, there was a previous thread on the forum where pauper funerals were discussed and the out come was that they normally don't have markers of any sort or records kept of locations, sorry for that.
paul

My Grandfather (Samuel Ward b 1885) was orphaned at the age of 3 and brought up in the Cottage Home of the Birmingham workhouse. He was born at Cregoe St. Birmingham where his father died just after Samuels birth.

His mother (Lavinia) died in the Western Road Workhouse in 1888.

Will the Workhouse records tell me where Lavinia is buried (and if the grave of a pauper would be marked in any way) ?

Will the records show me where Samuel went after leaving the home (at the age of 15 or 16 I think).

Is there anything else of interest the records may show me ?

I would be a long jouney for me get to the central libary, so I would like to know if it may be useful.

Thanks in advance to anyone who reponds.

Hi, my great grandmother died at Western Road, she was buried in a paupers grave at Heath lane cemetery. It is possible to find where your relative is buried, I went to the crematorium and asked to see the records for heath lane cemetery and the date or year and they brought out a huge book and found my great grandmother. It told you the plot number and the date she was buried and also the people who were buried with her, in my great grandmothers case there were six, two of which were babies.
If you take the plot number to the cemetery there is a guy called Paul Penny who looked up and helped us find her as they are not marked also my great grandmother was buried in the children's section. Good luck in finding your relative with regards Elaine

Back