• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

What Are Faggots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brains Faggots used to be very popular and you can still get them from freezer shops. They're like meatballs but contain also, offal. They are traditionally from the blackcountry [Dudley / Wolverhampton way] and are usually served with mushy peas and thick gravy. They are very tasty!

As a child I used to enjoy working the mincer as we made faggots. However as she got older my mother worked out a cheat as she no longer wanted to bother with the mincer even if we had progressed to an electric one. She used to mix liver with a packet of sage and onion stuffing just adding extra onions. Not quite the same thing but a trick I have used myself. I had faggots recently in the Red Lion in Warstone Lane in the Jewellery Quarter.

think i will try that david :)

lyn

Now, what am I doing, an almost but not quite, vegetarian commenting in a faggots thread? Well it's not from any particular belief that about the only meat I generally eat is chicken breast in one form or another. As a child I tried most things and decided whether they were to my taste or not - and good luck to those that do enjoy such things.

It's only really post-WW2 that the majority of rural Cretans have developed into meat eaters at times other than of celebration.as they simply couldn't afford it.. Of course, now we are in Lent, and most Greeks observe the rule of not eating meat reared on land and instead will opt for either a vegetarian diet or squid or octopus or "little fishes". Personally I am not into eating Squid or octopus either, though I do enjoy prawns every so often. So their diet outside of Lent contains a lot of pork and, at times of celebration, lamb and goat.

As there is very little rain during the summer months when the grass becomes straw, sheep & goats spend those monthe on the higher plateaux where there is more green vegetation, but we have very few cattle here. You can't stick cattle into back of a Toyota pickup and drive them up into the mountains for two or three thousand feet!

But your faggots are my gemista - peppers & tomatoes stuffed with herby rice - gemerally served with roast potatoes or a few chips. I love those. Each to their own & enjoy! :)

Maurice

peppers & tomatoes stuffed with herby rice nice, i once carried a pig on the back seat of my car. maurice
(and no not the wife.)

Last edited:
Now, what am I doing, an almost but not quite, vegetarian commenting in a faggots thread? Well it's not from any particular belief that about the only meat I generally eat is chicken breast in one form or another. As a child I tried most things and decided whether they were to my taste or not - and good luck to those that do enjoy such things.

It's only really post-WW2 that the majority of rural Cretans have developed into meat eaters at times other than of celebration.as they simply couldn't afford it.. Of course, now we are in Lent, and most Greeks observe the rule of not eating meat reared on land and instead will opt for either a vegetarian diet or squid or octopus or "little fishes". Personally I am not into eating Squid or octopus either, though I do enjoy prawns every so often. So their diet outside of Lent contains a lot of pork and, at times of celebration, lamb and goat.

As there is very little rain during the summer months when the grass becomes straw, sheep & goats spend those monthe on the higher plateaux where there is more green vegetation, but we have very few cattle here. You can't stick cattle into back of a Toyota pickup and drive them up into the mountains for two or three thousand feet!

But your faggots are my gemista - peppers & tomatoes stuffed with herby rice - gemerally served with roast potatoes or a few chips. I love those. Each to their own & enjoy! :)

Maurice

sounds good enough to eat to me maurice:D

i have always said each to his/her own and the world would be a very boring place if we all liked/disliked the same things

lyn

Oh i will definitely try that too,
wendy

Lyn, Wendy, Perhaps I should say that you still need to mince the the liver and make up the stuffing with water as normal. You can mince the raw onions and then bake the whole lot in the oven as a sort of meat loaf. Then cut portions for each person. For preference I use lambs liver but I have even made it with chicken livers. David

Brains Faggots used to be very popular and you can still get them from freezer shops. They're like meatballs but contain also, offal. They are traditionally from the blackcountry [Dudley / Wolverhampton way] and are usually served with mushy peas and thick gravy. They are very tasty!
I spotted Brain's faggots in our local Waitrose. They're now branded
"Mr Brain's".
I'd love a basinful but She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed won't have them in the house.

Never tried them with mint sauce but I always have the processed peas. Not that there is much difference as mushy peas are only processed peas mashed up a bit. Had some mushy peas in a pub in London recently which were horrible. I think they had added something else to them.

Mushy peas always seemed like overcooked processed peas to me, i.e. peas with a large amount of bicarbonate of soda to kill of any taste and goodness left in them after they were overcooked.

Maurice

Maybe it was being made to clean my teeth with bicarbonate of soda when I was a kid, Pete! Gibbs Dentifrice, which seemed to last for years, was like using mint-flavoured soap, so I still prefer the sweet little petit pois with my fish. :) Meanwhile, back on the subject of faggots..........................

Maurice

i have faggots tonight,all these post made me hungry. no mushy peas just garden ones.

Attachments

• peas.jpg
    peas.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 12
We used to get our faggots and peas and gravy from Harleys Pork Butchers in Formans Road Sparhill. Bill Harley used to make them every Tuesday and Friday and you took your own jug or large bowl.they were lovely. I still cook tripe and onions and also stuffed hearts when I can get them.

There was a ‘pork butcher’ in a tiny shop opposite the Red Lion, Station Road Erdington. He made his own faggots and boiled ham, wonderful stuff.

I mention this as I find the concept of a pork butcher interesting, only selling pork products.

There was a ‘pork butcher’ in a tiny shop opposite the Red Lion, Station Road Erdington. He made his own faggots and boiled ham, wonderful stuff.

I mention this as I find the concept of a pork butcher interesting, only selling pork products.
home cooked boiled ham. with a few slivers of onion.no your talking. i would love some proper faggots. them made by bra**s are just meat.
not much flaver in em now.the gravy is the best bit

I am sure there is a photo of a pork butcher shop on one of the thread about Aston.
Solely pork butchers are common in France and probably other countries, especially those with religious dietary laws.

I remember the local pork butcher when I was young. The sausages were really tasty, unlike the ones available from other places. I have seen it put forward that pork went off more quickly and was not hung, it required different treatment to other meats, and that its use in manufacture of ham, bacon etc , again, was different toother meats, and thus separate establishments handled it.

Indeed Mike, pork sausages are the best. Due to economies many factory produced products contain little meat.
I mentioned some while ago (another thread) about the tins of sausages that were shipped here during WW2 from the USA. I believe there were six (but might be proven wrong) which were packed in lard. Delicious!!

What you're describing there, Alan, sounds like the "sausages" we used to find in the army compo rations, back in the late 50s, early 60s.
"Soya links", they were called, pork they wor'nt !

Whatever happened to ‘black pays’ ?
Some years ago we tried a "Black Country" delicacy, or so were were told, Bacon & Pays.
Didn't realise it was really fat bacon scraps cooked with pigeon peas. Not really to our taste but I can imagine my parents generation, living from hand to mouth as they did, being grateful for such meagre fare.

What you're describing there, Alan, sounds like the "sausages" we used to find in the army compo rations, back in the late 50s, early 60s.
yer.baz,but why was the middle one removed,from the tin?:laughing::laughing:

Indeed Mike, pork sausages are the best. Due to economies many factory produced products contain little meat.
I mentioned some while ago (another thread) about the tins of sausages that were shipped here during WW2 from the USA. I believe there were six (but might be proven wrong) which were packed in lard. Delicious!!
The cans were the standard size not the small ones and the sausages were so closely packed the sides in contact with other sausages were almost flat. Also, the cans contained only sausages nothing else.
When cooked the skin trended to break but the sausage was left intact.

Maurice
Maurice, when i was in Crete i tried squid, & if i hadn`t spat it out after half an hour of chewing i would still be chewing it now. My favourite Greek dish was Stiffado. I would love to be vegitarian but i hate tomatoes, cucumber, zuchini, olives, ingredients that are usually found in vegetarian dishes. This time of the year when i drive past a field with lambs i think, poor little buggers, if only they knew what fate awaits them.

These we had were the real McCoy, Baz. I believe they were part of food parcels. My Nanny and I were alone as father was in the Army and mother not around any more. So maybe we qualified - but I can't say, as I was too young to know what the distribution arrangements were besides in those days children were usually only told what they needed to know. Life was simpler then.
Any one remember Al K. Traz? (Ted Ray is a clue ) :laughing:

Smudger,

I guess when it comes to squid & octopus, most Brit residents don't eat these, whereas quite a few like beef stifafo, but not me. I'm happy with tomatoes and like cucumber, but it does tend to repeat on me, though less if peeled, but then it seems to lose some of its flavour. Zuchini is a favourite of my other half, but only will I eat a little it if is fried crisp and coated with cheese! Olives only get eaten by me if in polite Greek company, otherwise I decline. "Ingredients that are usually found in vegetarian dishes" here would be herbs such as oregano (which I love), rice, and not a lot else as they are not great users of spices.

I lived in a cottage on a north Dorset farm for the two years before I moved here and it was the same with the beef cattle that they reared. They complained bitterly at being taken away from their mothers on another farm where they were born and they had a relatively short life whilst being fattened up for slaughter. But once they settled down they were friendly enough and seemed to enjoy human company, even if they were a little wary at first. They had nothing to fear from me!

We get invited to quite a few Greek weddings, and receptions are always largish from 300 to 1,500 guests, but then the wedding gifts are always money. As receptions generally start at around 9:00pm and finish about 5:00am, though we have generally left by 3:00am, you would do best to arrive after midnight, when the real meat comes out! Before that I don't think you would find much to suit your taste. :)

First course, which no one seems to partake of, are large bowls of rice boiled in the water in which goats meat has been boiled in. Precisely - YUK! Then follow numerous dishes, but the real meat - lamb, pork, chicken - doesn't arrive until about 1:00am, by which time all guests have stuffed themselves with things like salad, omelettes, long green peppers stuffed with feta cheese (I love those), meatballs, etc. Consequently, a lot of the real meat gets uneaten, though many take large amounts home for their dogs and cats. But enough of my rambling on........

Maurice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back