• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What and Where is this?

Lloyd

master brummie
Following on from recent 'competitions' where you have to identify a local scene, try this one.
What is the car?
What did its design lead to?
Where is the location (yes it's outside Birmingham - just a little)?

I'll check back for your answers later.

I don,t know why but when i first saw the photo i straight away thought of the Morgan sport cars from Malvern. Dek

Ha! No, not a Morgan (or any sports car!) and nowhere near as far away as Malvern, Dek. Nice try, though.

Well its definitely something to do with the Land Rover and that could be Olton Station Solihull a good while back.

Phil

Certainly something to do with Land Rover, as the front end testifies - but it led from rather than to Land Rover. Not Olton station, but that's getting very close!

I think I'll give you that, pmc 1947 although it's not the (rather desireable!) Austin A40 "Countryman".

It's the prototype "Road Rover" posed, unregistered, outside Solihull Station (which is still there sans glass canopy and with a greatly altered 'Station Approach' now it's the bus station as well - sorry, "Transport Interchange")
The Road Rover project was a slow developer, because the original Land Rover design remained popular far longer that its makers expected, but it eventually grew into the 'Range Rover'. Scroll down this page to see other (thankfully abandoned) design prospects for it.
A small number of these Road Rovers were used by the company, and eventually sold off to employees. I can remember seeing a couple of them still about in the 1960s, but I don't know if any survive.

Lloyd

It is a station I have never used, though I drive past Solihull Station quite frequently as a short cut it is not what you would say was recognisable from that photo. I only went for Olton & Solihull stations because of the Rover connection. I also have to admit that I had never heard of the Road Rover.

Phil

Back