• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Westminster Road Handsworth

I too went to Westminster road junior school Boys to the right girls to the left I was in the class of miss Box we used to call her pill box I think she knew. I lived in Westminster road at number 69 around about 4 or 5 houses past Putney road It was a detached house, Going back I see that it has been developed into flats now.It has just come to me the headmaster was a Mr Clayton. When I left that school I used to go back on a Saturdy night to the dances My name is Joe Allington Does anyone remember me ???

I used to go to the dances that were held at Westminster Rd School on Saturday nights in the early 1950s,those where the days.
Brian Harding

Please see message at top of forum re re photos.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

This thread needs a little TLC having lost all its images. Here's one showing the Congregational Church built in 1882 on the right. Unfortunately the church has been demolished but the Church Hall (?) remains today. There's a foundation stone on the Hall with the name H.G. Reid Esq inscribed.

Streetview images show some remains of the church - see composite photo below.

If anyone has any old photos of the road, please let me know so that we can repair this thread. Thanks. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

According to the Library of Birmingham the photograph below of the interior

"was taken sometime after the church opened in 1882. The church fell into disuse and combined with Union Row Congregational Church when the new church in Wilton Road was dedicated in 1969".

As the church fell into disuse, I presume that's why it was ultimately demolished. Viv.

image.jpeg

I too went to Westminster road junior school Boys to the right girls to the left I was in the class of miss Box we used to call her pill box I think she knew. I lived in Westminster road at number 69 around about 4 or 5 houses past Putney road It was a detached house, Going back I see that it has been developed into flats now.It has just come to me the headmaster was a Mr Clayton. When I left that school I used to go back on a Saturdy night to the dances My name is Joe Allington Does anyone remember me ???
[/QUOTE

my mother was born at 59 Westminster Road and my 3 aunts lived at 229 Church Hill Road, known as Westminster Villa, two of the aunts were teachers, I'm checking at which school but I'm talking before WW2.

This thread needs a little TLC having lost all its images. Here's one showing the Congregational Church built in 1882 on the right. Unfortunately the church has been demolished but the Church Hall (?) remains today. There's a foundation stone on the Hall with the name H.G. Reid Esq inscribed.

Streetview images show some remains of the church - see composite photo below.

If anyone has any old photos of the road, please let me know so that we can repair this thread. Thanks. Viv.

View attachment 113016 View attachment 113017

My mum was born 1928 at 59 Westminster Road, where her aunt was a midwife and the house shared with several others. I'm not sure if I have any photos of the house inside or out but will look. Also my 3 great aunts lived at Westminster Villa, 229 Church Hill Road.

Yes I have photo of no.59 where my mum was born in 1928 will add it to the chat but agree with Lyn on google street view you can see most of the road, am sure others photos exist back in time to today.

The following might be of interest ... the aerial view could be expanded to show more of Grosvenor Rd
Then and now aerial views of Westminster Road

Date 1920 and Trinity Rd church partially visible top left corner. Westminster Rd runs down the centre of the view with the school visible opposite the church. Grosvenor Rd at the bottom.
index.php

above image is from 'britainfromabove'

Today an aerial view shows Trinity Rd church top left. Westminster Rd school still there 100 years later but the church opposite has lost it's steeple.
index.php

above image is from Apple

Yes I have photo of no.59 where my mum was born in 1928 will add it to the chat but agree with Lyn on google street view you can see most of the road, am sure others photos exist back in time to today.
My mum was born here in February 1928, her parents came from Wales, and my mum's sisters lived at 229 Church Hill Road, Handsworth.

Attachments

• a795d31bea62a53bf6ed0509e8804bad1edc28db.jpg
    a795d31bea62a53bf6ed0509e8804bad1edc28db.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 19
  • a69329434da4eeafb9bf3710a3ce8b505b58214b.jpg
    a69329434da4eeafb9bf3710a3ce8b505b58214b.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 19
Joe, what years were you at Westminster Rd? I was there from 49 to 54 and seem to remember MR Clayton.

I lived in 153 Church Hill Road with mum and dad Dot and Cyril and brother Peter. Went to St Marys C of E school. Used to ride my three wheeler bike round 'the block' (Charles Raod?) pretending to be bus, stopping at every lampost! Also used to run my Matchbox cars along the smooth rendered wall of my grandads house on Westminster Road, behind 153. Grandad was Harry and had served in the Welch Fusiliers.

According to the Library of Birmingham the photograph below of the interior

"was taken sometime after the church opened in 1882. The church fell into disuse and combined with Union Row Congregational Church when the new church in Wilton Road was dedicated in 1969".

As the church fell into disuse, I presume that's why it was ultimately demolished. Viv.

View attachment 113018
I was a Wolf Cub at that church hall. The floors were wooden and all splintery so you best not slide on them as we all were wearing shorts!

Back