• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Westies

Brummygirl66

master brummie
I've noticed a couple of pictures of these smashing little dogs, Smudgers especially and of course my own avi and was just reading the National Service thread and saw them mentioned so decided to make this thread to talk about them.

I'm the proud owner of a 5 year old Westie called Bolly. She is completely nutty and I love her to bits. I hadn't had much experience of owning a Westie before we had Bols, her mom and dad belong to my husband's cousin and were the first ones I had come across although I have been round dogs all my life, my mom and dad always having a dog and my brother owns a ex racing greyhound.

Anyway, when Maddie (Bolly's mom) had her first litter we were asked if we would like a puppy, I'd just had to give up work because of ill health and was at home all day, I wasn't sure at first as I love cats and at that time had 3, now down to one as my big girls have passed on. But, I went to see the litter, picked what would become Bolly up at 1 week old and she snuggled up in my arms and that was it! Love at first sight!! Even though she then did a poo on my hoodie!!

She is such a character as other Westie owners will know, she thinks the whole world loves her, and to be fair a lot of people do. She's known by name by a lot of people locally and if I'm out on my own, I very often get a accusing "Where's Bolly?!"

She's fast asleep on my hip and leg as I type, sharing the chair is her favourite way of sleeping, my husband says she's my dog, but she loves to see him when comes home from work and as I say, she spends the most time with me, so I suppose she's always going to be more my dog. It's funny because at the moment, I have Bolly lay alongside me and Fudge my tabby cat curled in the crook of my arm, both comfortable and asleep.

Anyway, enough of my Girly Girl (her pet name), I look forward to reading about other Westies to see if they are all as barmy as mine and her dad who she takes after, Smudgers photo reminds me of him.

Just seen this, sums my Bolly up really!

Attachments

• tmp_5796-cd284b2af4dcdd96a295f16f90c9ebbb296218764.jpg
    tmp_5796-cd284b2af4dcdd96a295f16f90c9ebbb296218764.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 11
Had this fridge magnet as a Christmas present last year from my husband.

Attachments

• tmp_5796-51n_a3N8PlL._AC_UL160_SR160_160_1228229233.jpg
    tmp_5796-51n_a3N8PlL._AC_UL160_SR160_160_1228229233.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 12
We had a Westie, called Buster. for 16 years and he was a real character.

Attachments

• busterwash.jpg
    busterwash.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 14
My Westie is called Hamish, he`s 12. We tried for ages to buy a Westie, but every time we saw an ad for one we would phone up but always too late, except for one day in March 2005 when we struck lucky. We went to see the breeder & was horrified to find out that they were less than 6 weeks old, but this one little guy made a bee-line towards us & that was it, he`s coming home with us, & even though he`s a bloody nuisance at times ( especially following us around & getting under our feet ) He`s been stood on a few times but he still does it ). But all in all he`s a lot less bother than bringing up kids ( he`s more affectionate & doesn`t ask for money ).

The Hamish that I mentioned in the National Service thread was our second Westie. Our first was Dougal who was given to me while I was still in the army, he lived to be about 15.
Much as I like Westies, we also had a Cairn terrier bitch called Jenny, a lovely natured little dog. She was my favourite.

We have in Parker, Colorado USA had Westies for years , must have had 10 at least. Great dogs. But like all dogs they seem to live about 15 yrs or so So then the heart breaks when they pass on. Marcia belongs to the Westie rescue in Colorado and we seem to get all the poor soles that have been in bad homes and who knows what done to them We have one now Paisley, has one ear up one down. Follows Marcia around every whee she goes So very insecure but a wonderful little dog, think the world of her,

Attachments

• Marcia 001.JPG
    Marcia 001.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Like all Westie owners, I can't pass one without saying "hallo".
We saw one yesterday, the lady owner told me that her dog was 20 years old. So far, that's the oldest dog I've ever met.

20 year old Westie I have never heard of one in the USA living that long. We had one that made 17 but she was a mess could not stand etc. deaf and going blind. I do think the UK ones are bigger and maybe tougher, all the ones we have had have had hip problems for some reason. Most people here seem to have TWO at a time? maybe like buying two Jags keep one in garage for when the tother breaks down!!!

Back