• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Western Road workhouse Smethwick

atella

knowlegable brummie
Hi,

Can anyone advise me please I have a relative born we think 90% at the Western rd workhouse on 11th July 1911 his first names are William John but his surname could be Taylor,Simpson or Clayton.

I have never traced people in a workhouse so was wondering the best way of going about it.

many thanks for any advice.

Hi,

Can anyone advise me please I have a relative born we think 90% at the Western rd workhouse on 11th July 1911 his first names are William John but his surname could be Taylor,Simpson or Clayton.

I have never traced people in a workhouse so was wondering the best way of going about it.

many thanks for any advice.

I've had a look at the B'ham births for the Jul - Sep qtr of 1911, but there isn't a William John Taylor/Simpson/Clayton shown on there.

There is a William H whose mothers maiden name was Innocent and a William G whose mothers maiden name was Kinneavy.

Barrie.

I cannot believe you answered so fast its really very good of you and I appreciate the time and trouble you have taken.

It now means that we have a greater mystery on this relative and will have to now get further data from an elderly relative.

once again thanks for your kind help.

Barrie,

you do not happen to know why on a birth register in 1915 kings Norton Jan-Mar

why it shows in brackets (male) mothers maiden name Clayton

Does it mean that the child has not yet been named for any reason or is in an institution like a workhouse.

Thanks for any information providing you do not have to go to a great deal of trouble.

I am looking at other years around 1911 now under William John or just William Clayton or Taylor

Regards

It might be an idea to check the death registers for the same date, it may be that the child was a still birth.

Alternatively, the parents may not have decided on a name yet.

Barrie

edited to add, here he is.

[SIZE=+1]Deaths Mar 1915 [SIZE=-2](>99%)[/SIZE][/SIZE]Clayton Male 0 Kings N. 6d45

Back