• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

West Midlands Police 1974 Onwards

dwilly

master brummie
Edit.
This thread covers West Midlands Police 1974 onwards
For Birmingham City Police 1839 - 1974 see this thread here
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/birmingham-city-police-1839-1974.28555/

...........................................................................................................................

West Midland Police info from Wikipedia:

West Midlands Police was formed on 1 April 1974, owing to the provisions of the Local Government Act 1972 which created the new West Midlands metropolitan county. It was formed by merging the Birmingham City Police, the earlier West Midlands Constabulary, and parts of Staffordshire County and Stoke-on-Trent Constabulary, Warwickshire and Coventry Constabulary and West Mercia Constabulary. The first Chief Constable appointed to the new force was Sir Derrick Capper, the last Chief Constable of Birmingham Police.

.........................................................................................................................

West Midlands Police seem to have their own Flickr account. Among other things they have a few historical images.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/westmidlandspolice/sets/72157630932202032/

Last edited by a moderator:
Vanessa-Worzel.jpg

I omitted to say that this picture previously posted on the forum a few years ago is supposed to be at Elmdon Airport. When I worked the rank with my taxi at the airport I do not remember either of these two policewomen.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 121119

I omitted to say that this picture previously posted on the forum a few years ago is supposed to be at Elmdon Airport. When I worked the rank with my taxi at the airport I do not remember either of these two policewomen.

On the left PC Debbie Menzel Right Vanessa Carroll RIP (tragically died serving with the united nations police force in bosnia)

Back