• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

West Midlands Metro trams going blue 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tram 35 is now blue. Seen at Corporation Street Tram Stop after I rode it from Winson Green Outer Circle. Has lost the Angus Adams name (unless they reapply it).

Will get my tram photos up from Soho Benson Road and Winson Green Outer Circle in Handsworth later.

Soho Benson Road

Tram 30 with batteries in blue.

Winson Green Outer Circle

Tram 32 without batteries, blue with lime green OLA adverts.

Heading up the steep tram bridge.

Tram 35 heading down the tram bridge.

And then at the tram stop.

Soho Benson Road

Tram 30 with batteries in blue.

Winson Green Outer Circle

Tram 32 without batteries, blue with lime green OLA adverts.

Heading up the steep tram bridge.

Tram 35 heading down the tram bridge.

And then at the tram stop.

Excuse my ignorance, but presumably the pod on the roof shows whether it is fitted with batteries or not.

Bob

Yes it's those things at the front and back of the trams.
Thanks, presumably somewhere along the route (not Somewhere along the Way by Billy Eckstein). it is going to be wireless (overhead) or are the batteries an emergency source of power...enough questions for now.
Bob

When going up Pinfold Street and past the Town Hall along Paradise Street to Broad Street will be wireless. Not sure if they will be putting overhead wires along Broad Street though.

Ell, that was a good catch to get that shot as my observations it that the inbound tram does not normally start off from the Corporation Street stop until the outbound tram has cleared Stephenson Place.

The tram has to leave Grand Central, before the other tram at Corporation Street can go down the hill. I've not been able to get two blue in one before. Also had to wait here until tram 27 had passed me before crossing.

Thanks David.

Would guess things will change once the next extension to Centenary Square opens.

Tram 33 leaving Bull Street Tram Stop. Seen on Monday lunchtime.

Tram 23 at Grand Central Tram Stop. Seen on Tuesday lunchtime.

Last edited:
Do we have any information on how many trams are battery fitted? I am assuming that some trams which are not battery fitted will have to continue to terminate in Stephenson Street for the time being with only some trams able to run to Victoria Square/

Do we have any information on how many trams are battery fitted? I am assuming that some trams which are not battery fitted will have to continue to terminate in Stephenson Street for the time being with only some trams able to run to Victoria Square/
Good point.
I can't imagine that passengers would have to select the correct type of tram if the wanted to travel to Hagley road etc.
If passengers from Wolverhampton (and all stations before Stephenson st) wanted to travel to Hagley road, would they have to swop trams at Stephenson st?
When the line to Hagley road is complete will all existing non-battery driven trams be replaced or converted?
Does anyone know what plans the tram operator has?

Good point.
I can't imagine that passengers would have to select the correct type of tram if the wanted to travel to Hagley road etc.
If passengers from Wolverhampton (and all stations before Stephenson st) wanted to travel to Hagley road, would they have to swop trams at Stephenson st?
When the line to Hagley road is complete will all existing non-battery driven trams be replaced or converted?
Does anyone know what plans the tram operator has?

I thought that the Blue trams were the ones fitted with batteries but this might not be the case. There are new trams on order but these are additional trams not replacement and will be updated versions of the existing trams.

Most of the trams are now blue, some don't yet have batteries. About 6 without batteries, but that will probably change as they get fitted.

May have seen tram 28 Jasper Carrott from a distance this morning on Corporation Street. But by the time I got to the end of Union Street, it had already gone round the corner to Bull Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back