• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

West Heath Sanitorium

Conor Brennan

Hi
Looking for records on an Irish-born Patrick Brennan 1903
Died in West heath sanitorium in 1943 was conscripted in Manchester for ww2. Possibly fought and injured in dunkirk but we have different stories on that....
I did find a Patrick Brennan with similar details but he is claimed by another Family tree
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Conor Brennan

hi conor not sure what records you are looking for ?? if west heath sanatorium and west heath hospital were one and the same i think west heath hospital in those days was known for treating TB..my grandad died at west heath from TB in 1948...unless you have already done so my advise would be to obtain the death certificate to confirm cause of death ie did he died of injuries sustained during ww2

lyn

Last edited:
Conor, as I have rather common family surnames I find that relatives get claimed by other family trees so the Patrick you have found could easily be incorrectly claimed by the other person! I do know that West Heath hospital was being used for radio therapy treatments in mid 1960's

There are 2 Patrick Brennans born 1903 on the 1939 Eve of WW2 register.

Patrick Brennan born 1 January 1903, single, builder’s labourer address 4 Fashoda Square, Birmingham.

Patrick (James) Brennan, lorry driver, born 8 Dec 1903 address 64 Wrentham Street, Birmingham, single living with Francis Brennan (listed as female ? spelling) born 14 Apr 1872, widowed French polisher retired. Entry mis-transcribed as Brewman.

I can't find a death in 1943, but there is one in June quarter 1945 for a Patrick Brennan aged 43 ?

There are mixed views as to what happened to him ..one of my aging aunts is sure a telegram came from the Army stating death in West heath due to pernicious amenia which would explain the sanitorium ..unfortunately this telegram has never come to light and would be disputed by others that he never served as many of the men from Ireland claimed to be travellers to avoid conscription and in fact was fond of drink as many were and died in Birmingham...
Can't find anothing to match from military records or death records but maybe a lot of these men went to the grave undocumented and stories were told at home to save the family name....l can check out these leads ..thank you so much

conor if we go back to post 4 from bewdley giving the 1939 register.. i think we can discount the patrick brennan who is living with francis brennan retired french polisher as they are both on the 1901 and 1911 census where she is down as fanny brennan french polisher..she is his mother and they are both born in birmingham as were all the other children so no irish connection

so its looking like the other patrick brennan single living at fashoda square birmingham (i have no idea where fashoda square was must try and find out)... builders labourer could be your man as this was a common occupation for irishmen coming to live in birmingham

i guess it all depends now if you want to take a gamble and obtain the death cert for patrick brennan who died in birmingham in 1945...if you do the ref is 6d 385..if this was my family mystery i would certainly get the death cert as it could give you the answers you are looking for..if you do decide to get it could you keep us updated as we love a mystery on here:D

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn,

Fashoda Square was between 50 and 56 Gravelly Lane, Erdington on this 1935 electoral roll record and Patrick was living at #3 at that time with neighbours James and Winifred O'Brien

Attachments

• M0465f-00555.jpg
    M0465f-00555.jpg
    560.8 KB · Views: 6
NOT your Patrick Brennan. The one living Fashoda Square is still registered there in 1955 with James and Winifred O'Brien so at least you can rule him out of your search. Here's a screen print of the 1955 Electoral Register.

upload_2017-3-30_14-31-40.png

thanks bewdley so that has ruled them both out then...depending on what month the e roll was taken i found 2 patrick brennans in 1945 at rowton house...the plot thickens as we still have that death june quarter 1945:rolleyes::rolleyes:
lyn

Hi
Looking for records on an Irish-born Patrick Brennan 1903
Died in West heath sanitorium in 1943 was conscripted in Manchester for ww2. Possibly fought and injured in dunkirk but we have different stories on that....
I did find a Patrick Brennan with similar details but he is claimed by another Family tree
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Conor Brennan

Hi Conor

Your cousin Mary here in Naas. Saw this post some years back and remembered it today when I received message that you confirmed smart matches with my tree on MyHeritage site. (I don't have a subscription to MyHeritage hence the reason I'm making contact with you on this forum)
If you are a member of Ancestry.com I have more details on my O'Neill/Brennan Family tree on this site particularly on the Brennans that emigrated to the US. My trees are for public viewing though you may have to sign up in order to view same.

Word of warning this family tree stuff is very, very, addictive. I've been actively researching since 2002 and I know I will never stop.

Take care
Mary

Back