• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

West End Cinema Curzon Hall

ed smith

master brummie
In todays Daily Mail is an article about the film The Artist,one of the pictures shown was of Birminghams West End Cinema from the 1900`s,my question is where about was this West End Cinema?

In todays Daily Mail is an article about the film The Artist,one of the pictures shown was of Birminghams West End Cinema from the 1900`s,my question is where about was this West End Cinema?

I think it was at the top end of Suffolk St near Easy Row.We have had a photo on the cinema thread but may have been lost.Dek

Thank you Dek, i presume top end of Suffolk Street is towards Bristol Street and not t`other end towards Alpha Tower ? considering i spent 50 odd years in Brum my geographical sense is dismal at best

West End Club.jpg2.jpgWest end view N to S.jpg
It was all part of the building that also housed the Dance hall at the top of Suffolk St. There where 2 entrances next to each other the door with the Canopey above my mates head was the cinema, The white part to the left of 1st photo. Or was it the other way round!!! I can't remember now.

The West End cinema, Suffolk Street was first opened as The Curzon Hall - a place built to mainly hold dog shows but it also hosted other exhibitions - it could hold up to 3,000 people, apparently in "varying states of discomfort!" In 1924/25 it was reconstructed as the West End Cinema. It was opened on Monday 9th March 1925 by Provincial Cinematograph Theatres as their city cinema to replace the picture house in New Street. The West End was one of Birminghams best loves theatres - especially as at first teas could be taken in the side wings of the balcony while watching the film.
It closed on Saturday 18th March 1967 to make way for the ring road.
curzon hall_west end - Copy.jpg

Thank you Dek, i presume top end of Suffolk Street is towards Bristol Street and not t`other end towards Alpha Tower ? considering i spent 50 odd years in Brum my geographical sense is dismal at best

No Ed I always considered the top end to be the Alpha Tower end. Dek

Didnt go to the West End cinema very often, but the Ballroom, yes! Bernard
Quote; 7Trent are putting on their bills "Save Water, Shower with a Friend".

Last edited:
Yes Bernard - the West End Ballroom was brilliant. The floor was sprung and when dancing to tunes like 'The March of the Mods' it gave a very strange sensation!

Funny how some detail sticks in your head, but mention of the West End just triggered a bit. I only went there once, by nan took me to see Around the World in 80 Days with David Niven. The other film on that day was The Red balloon and I cried my eyes out when it burst and all the way home as well.

I only ever went there once in 1964 I think, with a girl from small heath I met on leave, can't even remember the film but thought it very expensive at 2/6 a ticket.
paul

As you say, the dancefloor was really good, being an old square(even then) my favorite and Enids was a waltz to the tune
"Fascination", remember it? Lee Lawrence had a hit with it. In 1943
I started ballroom dancing at evening classes at Yardley Wood school. I was rather tall and the teacher Mrs Johnson, use to call me out to demonstrate the steps.My outstanding memory is feeling the bones in her corset when I put my hand on her waist.
Oh! Happy Days Bernard

hello all, i remember going to the westend dance hall in the early 60's and seeing Pat Roach doing a karate demonstration and he actualy stuck a hatpin from one cheek to the other and didn't flinch!!! also on the bill were Freddy and th Dreamers.

by for now

shardeen

Michael remembers going to the dances at the West End in the early 60's he says the queue to get in went round the block.

Often saw queues outside the West end in the 1950,s. It was on the corner of Holliday st. and Suffolk st. Great dance there on a Saturday lunchtime.

The loss of iconic buildings is part of the "forward" logic so ingrained in this city. In this case it seem it was the new road developments of the 1960's that led to the removal of the building. As stated it began as Curzon Hall where early dog shows were held. The last dog show was at the NEC in March 2020, and there was not one in 2021 through the present lockdown restrictions through the Coronavirus Epidemic.

Curzon Hall was built on Canal Company Land adjacent to Paradise Street Wharf. It was lost as road widening claimed the land. Today there are a very different group of buildings near this spot.

Really sad so many of Birmingham's, beautiful and iconic buildings have been lost, to "Prosperity", still you cannot bring them back. Paul
What is also sad is the building that replaced it did not last very long! So much for good planning and we wonder why things are so expensive!

Curzon Hall playing its part in recruitment for WW1. Source: British Newspaper Archive.

Viv.

492F9BA1-E86D-47F9-803E-DCE16366A769.jpeg

Attachments

• 23DF715E-8C45-4E82-8A61-E491744DFDFD.jpeg
    23DF715E-8C45-4E82-8A61-E491744DFDFD.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 3
it seems's a common place thing now Richard, in most towns, but the amount of destruction to Birmingham's center, in the early 60's takes some beating, the beautiful mid Georgian and early Victorian town houses , pubs, and municipal, and bank buildings together with theaters and cinemas was astonishing, and sad. Paul

My own father was one of the manymen that signed up at Curzon Hall in WW1. The unattractive appearance of modern Birmingham is the sheer height of the buildings i9n what seems like an effort to look like New York - bland with empty disinteresting spaces of nothing in between each one.

Maurice :cool:

What a great family history Maurice, I agree totally with you about modern architecture, Bland,though some are inspiring, I feel this may be a generational thing though, I hope you are keeping well, and will look forward to meeting you in person 1 day. Regards Paul

What is also sad is the building that replaced it did not last very long!

There seem to be those amongst us who look to profit through change, building bland structures, erecting modern versions of the back to backs and removing heritage features. Matchbox City on the Icknield Port Loop is an example of such modern values another is the Islington Buildings in Fleet Street which have replaced the 19th Century factories once built there.

Am I correct in thinking that this was the same site that was used as an Army recruitment Office in 1915 and referred to as Curzon Hall Suffolk Street?

Attachments

• Australasian (Melbourne, Vic. - 1864 - 1946), Saturday 26 February 1916, page 52 nat lib of au...jpg
    Australasian (Melbourne, Vic. - 1864 - 1946), Saturday 26 February 1916, page 52 nat lib of au...jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 6
Back