• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

West End Cinema Curzon Hall

Really sad so many of Birmingham's, beautiful and iconic buildings have been lost, to "Prosperity", still you cannot bring them back. Paul
What is also sad is the building that replaced it did not last very long! So much for good planning and we wonder why things are so expensive!

Curzon Hall playing its part in recruitment for WW1. Source: British Newspaper Archive.

Viv.

492F9BA1-E86D-47F9-803E-DCE16366A769.jpeg

Attachments

• 23DF715E-8C45-4E82-8A61-E491744DFDFD.jpeg
    23DF715E-8C45-4E82-8A61-E491744DFDFD.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 3
it seems's a common place thing now Richard, in most towns, but the amount of destruction to Birmingham's center, in the early 60's takes some beating, the beautiful mid Georgian and early Victorian town houses , pubs, and municipal, and bank buildings together with theaters and cinemas was astonishing, and sad. Paul

My own father was one of the manymen that signed up at Curzon Hall in WW1. The unattractive appearance of modern Birmingham is the sheer height of the buildings i9n what seems like an effort to look like New York - bland with empty disinteresting spaces of nothing in between each one.

Maurice :cool:

What a great family history Maurice, I agree totally with you about modern architecture, Bland,though some are inspiring, I feel this may be a generational thing though, I hope you are keeping well, and will look forward to meeting you in person 1 day. Regards Paul

What is also sad is the building that replaced it did not last very long!

There seem to be those amongst us who look to profit through change, building bland structures, erecting modern versions of the back to backs and removing heritage features. Matchbox City on the Icknield Port Loop is an example of such modern values another is the Islington Buildings in Fleet Street which have replaced the 19th Century factories once built there.

Am I correct in thinking that this was the same site that was used as an Army recruitment Office in 1915 and referred to as Curzon Hall Suffolk Street?

Attachments

• Australasian (Melbourne, Vic. - 1864 - 1946), Saturday 26 February 1916, page 52 nat lib of au...jpg
    Australasian (Melbourne, Vic. - 1864 - 1946), Saturday 26 February 1916, page 52 nat lib of au...jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 6
Back