• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

West Bromwich Albion

Thanks Alf that's interesting because there are loads of those photo's of footballers in this collection. Now I know where they came from too!

My mother was brought up by her grandparents and they used to run a pub in West Bromwich.

She clearly remembers some of the team used to drink there after a game and they would pick her up and sit her on the bar.

The pub was called the Golden Cup which i believe was on Cross Street.

That's interesting Neville. I have been doing some research into the early days. It seems the players used a regular pub in the 1880's and the pub had a song bird in a cage. The bird was a thrush known locally as a throstle. Apparently this was where the club emblem came from as suggested by my gt grandfather Thomas Smith. I wonder what pub it was.

I have just received a copy of yesterday's Express and Star in which Carl Chinn has written a brilliant article about the early days of West Bromwich Albion. The article includes a lovely piece about my great grandfather Thomas Smith and his involvement with the club and the early days of English football.

I now can't look at the club badge without thinking of him knowing he designed the badge still used today. Maybe I should get some royalties....lol

Wendy

You must be very proud of your Great Grandfather. Bet it makes a good read:)

Suzanne

Here is another interesting report from a newspaper dated 1934 sadly I don't know which paper. I still find it amazing that if I hadn't read the book Gangs Of Birmingham, I may never have descovered all this history on my great grandfather Thomas Smith. I remember my granny telling me he was involved in the start of the club and that she was a supporter. She died when I was 16, I wasn't to interested in football at the time. Oh how I wish I had listened more.

img437.jpg

Wendy can you enlarge the team photograph my cousin E (Teddy) Sandford is on this photograph never seen this before

John I will try and scan it as it larger as its a small tin square.

Here you are John Houghton hope this is clearer. My father in law was an avid football fan, we inherited his collection although my lads have no interest in football. He was club secretary for Charford which was Southall's football team. He was also a referee. I found these other photos and scanned them for you. Some nice images and information on your cousin.
West Bromwich Albion 1.jpg

West Bromwich Albion 3.jpgWest Bromwich Albion4.jpgWest Bromwich Albion 2.jpg

My son William has West Brom, tattooed on his arms, when young he said I want to follow West Brom, "as my dad comes from there", I don't but my nick name in the army and in Civvy St was "Brummie", he mis-understood and thought that West Brom was my home town, he has followed ever since though, now 28 and an NCO in the RE Para's. Paul stacey

Back