• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Weoley Castle Ruins

debs_72

Brummie babby
I am trying to document my childhood but have problems with remembering some things. Does anyone who lived in the area around the mid to late 70's remember if you were allowed to play on the ruins. I have memories of playing dungeons and playing in the area, I see now it is fenced but was it fenced at that time? Thanks.

I grew up in the area during the 60s and 70s , and to the best of my knowledge you were not supposed to play in the ruins, but after the castle staff went home it was quite easy to climb over the fence.

Thanks David, I do think I have those memories so maybe we did jump the fence :) we did get up to some mischief.

I was at Jervoise Road school up above the Castle ruins in the late 40's till 1953,in those days the ruins were overgrown and no one bothered about them,I can't remember if they had a fench around them or not

It says the post card was used in 1938---Alwold Road wasn't was not built up at this point.
My Granny and three children moved into 424 Alwold Road (the Lodge Hill Cemetry end) in 1933 from Ladywood when my mother was 14

I lived in Alwold Rd for 18yrs as far as I can remember they were not fenced as late as 1974. My brother and sister and friends some times paid the sum of 1.1/2d each and spent the whole day wondering around and catching grass hoppers in the summer

we used to play in there in early 70s. free to get in too. also used to play on the salt?mounds up the alley next to it.

A short report of findings on the site in 1957. I wonder what happened to the (alleged) portcullis/door remnants ? Viv.

0CF3B969-EAE1-4427-8F35-34DE134CA0BC.jpeg

Viv
i think the paper was being a bit ambitious in its attributions of the debris. Looking at a summary of work on the castle ( https://archaeologydataservice.ac.u.../Weoley_Castle_-_Archive_Appraisal_-_2011.pdf), which seems to indicate that record keeping was not very good in those days, the following quote is shown:
The Grill
Oswald, first interim report, page 64
“An iron grill, probably part of a window, and a wooden door with stone door
jambs was found, collapsed, in the moat as it fell northwards from the north-east
tower. The debris of the tower was covered by a third layer of clay and, therefore,
represents an early destruction; in fact, a deposit of builders rubbish between the
first and second layers of clay was noted all around the walls, that between layers
two and three being particularly heavy and clearly representing a complete remodelling
of the building, probably in the second half of the fourteenth century.”

thanks mike...i would like to think that the ruins are well protected....does anyone know if the public have access

lyn

great thanks mike...cant believe i have never been to see it...its on my list for this year

lyn

Viv
i think the paper was being a bit ambitious in its attributions of the debris. Looking at a summary of work on the castle ( https://archaeologydataservice.ac.u.../Weoley_Castle_-_Archive_Appraisal_-_2011.pdf), which seems to indicate that record keeping was not very good in those days, the following quote is shown:
The Grill
Oswald, first interim report, page 64
“An iron grill, probably part of a window, and a wooden door with stone door
jambs was found, collapsed, in the moat as it fell northwards from the north-east
tower. The debris of the tower was covered by a third layer of clay and, therefore,
represents an early destruction; in fact, a deposit of builders rubbish between the
first and second layers of clay was noted all around the walls, that between layers
two and three being particularly heavy and clearly representing a complete remodelling
of the building, probably in the second half of the fourteenth century.”

I am trying to document my childhood but have problems with remembering some things. Does anyone who lived in the area around the mid to late 70's remember if you were allowed to play on the ruins. I have memories of playing dungeons and playing in the area, I see now it is fenced but was it fenced at that time? Thanks.
No certainly not allowed to play on the ruins at any time, to my knowledge, I lived in kemberton Rd in the 70s and moved out in the late 70s,returned in mid 90s
To alwold Rd. Ruins were out of bounds, only on open days were being in the ruins allowed.Hope this helps.
David Stamps.

Back