• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

wellesley street

think ive got it josie just had a better look...is it the little shop with the sign outside and a man is walking towards it ? good job you know the street i did not notice that little shop...

lyn

josie pic 4 post 16 set my pulses racing...i thought the man with the little girl on his shoulders was our dad with one of my sisters...he was always giving us shoulder rides...shame i cant get a closer look at the faces but i think dad would have been taller and the hair does not look right but i cant be certain as photos can be deceiving...on the left corner of welleseley and nursery road is the st silas mission hal and the shop on the corner of nursery road and church st is where we got our bundle of fire wood.. zip fire lighters and paraffin for the fire we had in our kitchen.....i can still smell that shop now...better shot of st silas mission hall on post 13 pic 4

lyn

Last edited:
lyn
yes it is the little shop with the sign above it
hubbys uncle use to send me there and ask for 10 players and he will pay her on friday she was she was a lovely lady
the pictures brought back some lovey memories
josie

We lived at 48 Wellesley Street in the early 60's having moved from Monument Road. At least once I recall eating in the Cafe in pic 13. Well used by lorry drivers as I recall. We were 3 brothers, Bernard, Kennet(me) and Peter, my sister Phyllis was born there in 1963. I think it was the Devlins lived next door, 2 or 3 girls I think one of them was Bernadette. Us boys went to Farm street School.

Im very new here, I have just discovered that my gt gt Grandparents lived in Middlemore Place, Wellesley st in 1911. I searched the address and this site came up and all those photos! Im amazed as I walked that area every day when I was younger but had no idea my relatives had been near there. Thank you so much for posting the photos.
I am only just starting out with my family research, my gt grandmother passed while she was young and my gt grandfathers 2nd wife stopped any further contact with her family so I am now trying to track them down, it was her parents who lived here with her uncle and his wife.

hi tracy and welcome to the forum...glad you liked the photos...good luck with your research...there is a wealth of history on here to find..

lyn

as promised photos of wellesley st i think they are all dated 1964...hope you and hubby enjoy these josie as i know hubbys family lived here for a good 50 years..josie if you click on the pics 3 times you will get a full screen shot...many thanks to gingerjon who sent me these wonderful photos..

lyn
That pic with the corner shop 338 Farm Street we used ti live just about where the lamp post is. Had a meal or two in that transport cafe. Around 1963.

as promised photos of wellesley st i think they are all dated 1964...

My first post in this forum. I landed in this thread after I searched in google for "Wellesly street birmingham UK"

My family migrated from Birmingham to Australia in 1964 when I was aged 13. My late mother became interested in Family History circa 1993 and begun to gather information. While sorting through her affairs, I've learnt that my grandparents lived at 4 Ivetsey Place, Wellseley Street Birmingham UK until the early 1960s when they died.

Much appreciation to "Astoness" for posting those photos of Wellesley Street circa 1964. Especially for me, the 16th photo which shows the crooked sign of "Ivetsey Place". Until I saw that photo I assumed that Ivetsey Place was a building in Wellesley Street. Most of the time my grandparents location was referred to as "they lived in Wellesley Street"

I'm wondering if there are any photos or maps of that era showing Ivetsey Place in more detail?

I don't think you will find any maps giving greater detail. Someone may have a photo of Ivetsey Place.

Hey guys I know it's been a few years but I'm trying to find out about a Beatrice Marjorie Ingram who was a shopkeeper at 100 Wellesley Street. Does anyone know anything about her or the shop? I think she is my great grandmother and we think she may have been married twice before getting with my great grandad (and never marrying...!). Any information would be fantastic. Thank you!

The shop first appears between 1892 and 1895, then being run by William Groves. Between 1900 and 1903 it was taken over by Walter Bacon. By 1908 it is described as a grocers run by George White. By 1910, still a grocers, it is run by Robert Phillips, but by 1913 it is no longer described as a grocers, just a shop, run by John Stimson, In 1915 a shop run by Miss Maud Mary Beale, and in 1921 by Charles Edward Ashley. The electoral roll shows May Beatrice Ingram as being at 100 Wellesley St from 1922 up till 1939. However the directories list it in 1924 (robab ly referring to 1923) as being a shop run by Horace Tongue. Possibly he initially ran the shop for her (or the directory was rather out of date). I do not have directories from 1925-1931, but in 1932 it is a shop run by Mrs Beatrice M. Ingram who remains there till the 1943 edition. the shop has gone by the 1944 edition.
The position of the shop is shown in red on the c1950 map below.

map c1950 Wellesley st showing no 100.jpg

Back