• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Well Street

W

Wendy

This is a photo of Well Street c1900 where my great great grandparents John and Margaret McKnight lived for 40 years. The photo was taken just before the demolition of Assinder's tripe house a 16th century tripe house. The elaborate decor of the wood is typical of this type of house, each floor was jettied out from the one below.
Well_Street_edited.jpg

Well_Street_edited_1.jpg

Attachments

• Deritend High St Old Tripe House c1900.jpg
    Deritend High St Old Tripe House c1900.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again for the photo Wendy! I have seen the photo before but didn't realise it was of Well Street. My 2 x Gt.Grandfather, John Nicholls, worked as a Tailor at 2 Well Street in 1858. The family were living in Livery Street in 1851 and then had moved to Bridge Street West by 1861. I was so pleased that you posted the photo of Well Street as it brings the family history to life. Judy

Last edited by a moderator:
Judy thanks for that. How wonderful our realatives probably knew each other, mine lived there from around 1837 at no 48 and by 1851 they were at no 86 and were still there in 1881.

Yes, it's more than likely that our ancestors knew each other, even if it was just a passing aquaintance. Living and working in the same street, they must have seen each other regularly. Fantastic to think about!

This is a photo of Well Street c1900 where my great great grandparents John and Margaret McKnight lived for 40 years. The photo was taken just before the demolition of Assinder's tripe house a 16th century tripe house. The elaborate decor of the wood is typical of this type of house, each floor was jettied out from the one below.
Well_Street_edited.jpg

Well_Street_edited_1.jpg
Fantastic Photo..

Back