• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Welch (Welsh) Cross High Street Dale End

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Lets try another drawing, I don't think there are any photos of this building. So there is a clue already it dates it pre mid 1800's at least. Any ideas?

I don't think this one will take long at all.

Phil

xx-3.jpg

Phil,

I have seen a photograph or painting of Aston Cross with, I believe, this building on it. It was demolished and replaced by the clock which is there today

Old Boy.

Old Boy

I know the building you are thinking of, but it's not this one.

Phil

Phil

Like you I thought this one would go very quickly.

As no other answers I will go for the Welch Cross.

Can get a bit confusing as there were 2 such crosses in the central Birmingham area.

The Old Cross which was demolished when the open Bull Ring area was created.

And the Welch Cross which I believe was further up on High Street.

T

Tacitus

You are of course correct, it is the Wesh Cross that stood at the junction of Dale End & High St. It was demolished in 1803.

I thought that people would confuse it with the Market Cross also known as the Old Cross & the Butter Cross that stood in the Bull Ring as you say roughly where Nelsons statue was first installed. This building was demolished in 1784.

Phil

CityBullRingTheMarketCross.jpg

Back