• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham weddings of the past

Brilliant piece of family history. Some still do have "ordinary" weddings with a pub reception but not many.

I do think wedding have been hijacked into an expensive day by the commercial organisations. All sold under the guise of ‘it has to be the best day of your life’; so does it all go down hill from there on?

I got married almost ten years ago, and it was our intention to have an ‘ordinary’ wedding, and we did.

Jeans and tee shirt to get married, quite a simple ceremony, then we took the guests to a fish and chip cafe, no expense spared; it was areally nice ‘ordinary’ wedding.

I have been noticing some of the wedding photos on the forum have been taken in back gardens, how nice.

My/our wedding reception was in our house. The second best one I've been to was in the garden of the Black Eagle in Hockley. On the other hand my daughter was a bride's maid at a wedding where the bride's dress cost over £5000! Of course, Asian weddings, of which I've been to a couple of, are in a different league altogether and £50,000 in costs is nothing out of the ordinary.

We had our wedding reception at Burlington Street School, self catered by my mother and friends and relatives. This was very common at the time - 1957.

In contrast my son was best man at his friends wedding in Lake Garda which cost well over £40,000 about 5 years ago.

i got married in a white suit at the holy family church 1966 i went in a taxi with my dad and came home on the no 58 bus we had a small do in the house and went to the maltshovel pub conventy rd on the night
my moms words to me was every bride remembers their wedding day but remember it is all the years after that count

i got married in a white suit at the holy family church 1966 i went in a taxi with my dad and came home on the no 58 bus...
Bet that brought you down to earth then. :culpability: Start off as you mean to carry on, eh?

Back