• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Webster & Horsfall Exhibition

Lady Penelope

master brummie
There is an exhibition celebrating Webster & Horsfall's 300 year anniversary this year. It started a few days ago at Birmingham Art Gallery and will run for some months. Although only a small exhibition it's full of history and worth seeing if you're up town.

There are recent paintings by Arthur Lockwood of the factory and these will change in July. I knew nothing about Arthur Lockwood so for others in the same boat:

"Arthur was born in Birmingham. He studied book illustration at Birmingham College of Art and Graphic Design at the Royal College of Art. He worked in publishing for 23 years as a Freelance Designer in London and, in the late 1980s, took early retirement, returning to the Midlands to paint full-time. He was elected as an associate of the RBSA in 1991 and as a member in 1994. Working in watercolour, Arthur’s main subjects are urban and focus particularly on areas that are changing and industrialised. Arthur enjoys painting both the inside and outside of factories. He is an elected Member of the Royal Watercolour Society and the Royal Society of British Artists. Arthur does not accept commission."

(Almost adjacent to this exhibition is a room full of David Cox's paintings. Although disappointed that no Birmingham scenes were included, there was a very nice, small, watercolour of him sketching in later life).

Last edited:
Info for Webster and Horsfall in the Thread, Secret behind the Blue Plaque...

W & H were customers of mine years ago, and I knew them fairly well. I think their business has changed considerably in recent years, but they still (amongst many other applications) produce wire and wrapped wire for guitar strings. I wasn't aware that they've been in business for 300 years - quite an achievement!

G

Morning Big Gee, apparently in days gone by they were the biggest producers of 'musical wire' in the world. If I remember correctly this was mainly piano wire. Although I'm not a technical person I found the procedure for wire-drawing fascinating especially as my Hiley's were wire-drawers and worked for this company.

Yes Viv, and I had to restrain my husband from buying a very small piece of the cable which is on Ebay at the moment. GWR railway lines and tram lines adorn our house already!

Congratulated for a prompt, efficient and quality service in 1865. Viv.

Attachments

• 4C96347C-D083-4947-9684-3DD1AA5414AD.jpeg
    4C96347C-D083-4947-9684-3DD1AA5414AD.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for your info, Lady P. In the 'good old days' there were a few other wire-drawers around the West Midlands, but as you say W&H were by far the largest of the local companies. As a (not too great) guitar-player myself, I always use 'Rotosound' strings, made in the UK using W&H wire. The lower register strings start off as piano wire, with very fine brass wire wrapped round. I don't know if W&H have or had the facilities to do this. I also personally bought piano wire from W&H, for use as flying lines on my control-line speed model aircraft. At one time, the ladies in the office would let me sort through their 'oddments' store, and I usually came away with a reel or two of 0.015" or 0.018" wire - mostly for pennies.

G

PS: was there a Peter Hiley in your family?

Lady P, if my memory serves you highlighted the book which gives a very interesting account of Webster and Horsfall...
The Iron Masters of Penns, 1971, has been written by the present chairman, Colonel JHC Horsfall.

Back