• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Webley Family of Webley Scott gun manufacturers...help

Hi Marion yes, sorry I have I have been away and explained in my reply, hope you got it. Thank you for all the info on William Davies.

Thanks again..x

Paul R great minds think alike! (Except you got there first!!)

I was tidying up my family tree today and realised that my 2x gt gran, Eliza Holland was a servant to Philip Webley in 1851 and 1861, in Edgbaston,84 Weaman Street and later 386 Bristol Road. In 1862 she married Josiah Hall in her home town West Bromwich. So I've come to the same conclusions as you, Paul about there being a connection between the West Bromwich gun makers/filers and the gun quarter in Birmingham. There are super articles on the net about Webley and Scott Ltd, as well as this interesting thread; thanks contributors. The articles confirm the genealogy and the records.

Best regards to my distant cousin et al

A little off-topic but might be of passing interest...

Eliza Holland, the domestic servant recorded on the 1861 census was my greatx2 grandfathers sister. Her father and other brother were pistol makers who lived at Virgins End (near present day Lyndon), West Bromwich. There were numerous gun makers in the area at that time and later a small arms factory near Wigmore. Cashmore is another prominent name associated with the gun trade in the area - a couple are buried near the entrance to All Saints ('old church').

There is of course the world famous shotgun maker Holland & Holland based in London and I've often wondered if there was some link to them and whether there was any connection between my pistol-making Hollands and the Webleys that resulted in Eliza being employed by them. As my Hollands were skilled manual workers (pistol lock filers) perhaps they were employed in some way by Webley?

Paul.
My ancestors were the Cashmores from Newton Street,West Bromwich where they had a small arms factory. From my recent research they began back in the 1780s, maybe earlier and there were several James, Pauls, Levis, Edwins all Cashmore - father, grandfather, brothers and sons.... Paul Cashmore made the design for the Royal Irish Constabulary and presented prizes at shooting competitions. One of his sons Edwin Cashmore moved with his family to Canada. I have not as yet, made a connection to the William Cashmore gun family of Birmingham.

I am related through my grandmother Selina Cashmore.

regards

Angela Weston

Back