• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Webley Family of Webley Scott gun manufacturers...help

James Charles Scott,mentioned in William's probate records was also a gun manufacturer.
In 1911 he was living at "Rowanleigh",St Bernard's Rd,Olton with his daughter Ellen.
He appears to be the younger brother of William,living in Walsall Road, Aston, in 1851.
Their father William Scott born 1806 Bradfield Suffolk,was a gun maker employing 18 men and 2 boys in 1861.
Their uncle Charles Scott born 1806 Bradfield Suffolk,gun manufacturer,had been listed with the family since 1841.
Then he and his 2nd wife and sons lived at Bolton Street, Handsworth in 1861,moving to Sycamore Rd,Handsworth before his death in 1883.
His son Martin,(1853) was an executor of his estate when he died 18th december 1883,leaving an estate of £9,371 0s 1d.
Martin was then living at 32 Booth Street Handsworth.
Is this where the W&C Scott and Sons name came from?

Thank you so much for all the info and the prospectus you sent me Ladylinda. I am now putting it together for the Key Hill records.

I am mainly concentrating on the Webley family in Key Hill cemetery for obvious reasons but, the Scott family is also so interesting as is the history of such an important Birmingham company and employer.

I haven't found the resting place of William Middleditch Scott d 1916. I would think there is a large memorial somewhere in Birmingham.

A little off-topic but might be of passing interest...

Eliza Holland, the domestic servant recorded on the 1861 census was my greatx2 grandfathers sister. Her father and other brother were pistol makers who lived at Virgins End (near present day Lyndon), West Bromwich. There were numerous gun makers in the area at that time and later a small arms factory near Wigmore. Cashmore is another prominent name associated with the gun trade in the area - a couple are buried near the entrance to All Saints ('old church').

There is of course the world famous shotgun maker Holland & Holland based in London and I've often wondered if there was some link to them and whether there was any connection between my pistol-making Hollands and the Webleys that resulted in Eliza being employed by them. As my Hollands were skilled manual workers (pistol lock filers) perhaps they were employed in some way by Webley?

Paul.

• Appreciate
Reactions: Anj
Caroline Davis who married Philip Webley was daughter of William Davis who was originally Philip Webley's apprentice master.
William Davis was brother of my 3xgreat grandfather John Sanders Davis who also owned a gunmaking business in Birmingham.
Both men fought at Waterloo & were awarded medals. John Sanders married a frenchwoman Mary Margaret Rosalie Dubois in France in 1816. They returned to England around 18
As I understand it, William Davis's wife was called Sarah & Philip Webley bought the business from her after William's death in around 1834.

• Appreciate
Reactions: Anj
Sorry I have been so busy I missed your post. What a great account and history of the Webley family. I am thrilled we have found their final resting place at Key Hill cemetery. I have made up a brief account of their history for the Key Hill archive so any extra info would be wonderful thank you for this.

Sorry I have been so busy I missed your post. What a great account and history of the Webley family. I am thrilled we have found their final resting place at Key Hill cemetery. I have made up a brief account of their history for the Key Hill archive so any extra info would be wonderful thank you for this.

Hi Wendy.
have your e mail address via Ancestry & will be in touch.
Have a bit of info on Ancestry about the Webleys but most of it is about the Davis family.Only recently discovered the connection between my 3xg uncle & Webley & Scott, so am still working on it, but if I can help, please just ask.
Marion

Thank you Marion I have done a little on the Davis family but would love to learn more.

You may already know this.
James Webley b 16.3.1808.
Married 1. Harriet (maiden nane unknown) b abt 1810 d 1847. Dau Emma b 1838.
Married 2. Louisa Green Oct 1849. (b 1815 d 1868) Daughters Louisa b 1852 & Hannah b 1856.
James died 1856.
Will send you some info on the Davis family over the weekend.
Marion

Hi Wendy.
Hope you are OK.
Please could you confirm you have got the info I e mailed to you at the weekend because I´m having problems with my e mails not being recieved.
Just a yes or no will do.
If you haven´t got it, I can re send it to you.
Marion

Hi Marion yes, sorry I have I have been away and explained in my reply, hope you got it. Thank you for all the info on William Davies.

Thanks again..x

Paul R great minds think alike! (Except you got there first!!)

I was tidying up my family tree today and realised that my 2x gt gran, Eliza Holland was a servant to Philip Webley in 1851 and 1861, in Edgbaston,84 Weaman Street and later 386 Bristol Road. In 1862 she married Josiah Hall in her home town West Bromwich. So I've come to the same conclusions as you, Paul about there being a connection between the West Bromwich gun makers/filers and the gun quarter in Birmingham. There are super articles on the net about Webley and Scott Ltd, as well as this interesting thread; thanks contributors. The articles confirm the genealogy and the records.

Best regards to my distant cousin et al

A little off-topic but might be of passing interest...

Eliza Holland, the domestic servant recorded on the 1861 census was my greatx2 grandfathers sister. Her father and other brother were pistol makers who lived at Virgins End (near present day Lyndon), West Bromwich. There were numerous gun makers in the area at that time and later a small arms factory near Wigmore. Cashmore is another prominent name associated with the gun trade in the area - a couple are buried near the entrance to All Saints ('old church').

There is of course the world famous shotgun maker Holland & Holland based in London and I've often wondered if there was some link to them and whether there was any connection between my pistol-making Hollands and the Webleys that resulted in Eliza being employed by them. As my Hollands were skilled manual workers (pistol lock filers) perhaps they were employed in some way by Webley?

Paul.
My ancestors were the Cashmores from Newton Street,West Bromwich where they had a small arms factory. From my recent research they began back in the 1780s, maybe earlier and there were several James, Pauls, Levis, Edwins all Cashmore - father, grandfather, brothers and sons.... Paul Cashmore made the design for the Royal Irish Constabulary and presented prizes at shooting competitions. One of his sons Edwin Cashmore moved with his family to Canada. I have not as yet, made a connection to the William Cashmore gun family of Birmingham.

I am related through my grandmother Selina Cashmore.

regards

Angela Weston

Back