• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Webb, Joseph Scott

jr_stanley1958

Interloping Yam-Yam
Any info much appreciated on Joseph Scott Webb Born 1920, Barnsley, Yorkshire, Married Q3 1939 Wenlock.Departed 28 Apr 1948 Bristol, arrived New York 13 May 1948.Mainly want to find him in US censuses and where died/buried.

US censuses are only available up to 1940.

Also, it appears he was a crew member, so you're not thinking he lived/died in US?

Last edited:
Ok.So not going to see him in Censuses.Family oral history has it that he's not seen in UK after about this time so do think he possibly stayed in US.

It's possible but as he worked on ships he could have ended up anywhere. If he did remain in the US he could appear on later censuses. Release times are different to here, it's 72 years, so 1950 census should be released in 2022.

Any info much appreciated on Joseph Scott Webb Born 1920, Barnsley, Yorkshire, Married Q3 1939 Wenlock.Departed 28 Apr 1948 Bristol, arrived New York 13 May 1948.Mainly want to find him in US censuses and where died/buried.
Jr, do you know what ship he sailed on and where might it have been registered?

Further info from distant family suggests he returned to UK and was serving in RAF at Albrighton or Cosford up to about 1950 only to disappear again with a lady named Margaret.
Jr, do you know what ship he sailed on and where might it have been registered?
From an Ancestry.com contact I think I have his departure onboard "Boston City" and his return in 1952 so I was wrong about him staying out there.But as family history says he disappeared with a "Margaret" and no record of a UK death, I'm thinking he went out again.

Attachments

• Webb Joseph in 1948 Pass List.png
    Webb Joseph in 1948 Pass List.png
    582.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Webb Joseph S return to UK.png
    Webb Joseph S return to UK.png
    645.2 KB · Views: 8
Further info from distant family suggests he returned to UK and was serving in RAF at Albrighton or Cosford up to about 1950 only to disappear again with a lady named Margaret.

From an Ancestry.com contact I think I have his departure onboard "Boston City" and his return in 1952 so I was wrong about him staying out there.But as family history says he disappeared with a "Margaret" and no record of a UK death, I'm thinking he went out again.
Good luck with your search!
I did look in the NY metro area yesterday which would include parts of Connecticut and New Jersey for potential immigrants from Europe.

Surely he can't have left UK 1948, returned 1953 and served in RAF until 1950?? Or have I read that incorrectly?

If that is his return in 1952 who was he going to stay with in Dudley?

On the Ancestry return manifest, there is an address in Dudley(looks like), have you looked that up? It may mean nothing but worth a try.

Although I think that "S" means in the services it would seem that this is the wrong family as it links the sailor from the list in post #6 to this address.
So we are back to a search. Does this make the RAF connection more likely?

Last edited:
Although I think that "S" means in the services it would seem that this is the wrong family as it links the sailor from the list in post #6 to this address.
So we are back to a search. Does this make the RAF connection more likely?
Yes, The RAF service number you found concurs with previous family research, the sea voyages were a red herring.

I'm attaching his profile thus far from my Ancestry tree.Any suggestions on how to find where they went much appreciated.

Attachments

• JSW Profile page.jpg
    JSW Profile page.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 8
New info is that Joseph Scott Webb was a caretaker to overseas students at Balmoral House, London in 1949.How can I get hold of an Electoral Roll entry for the voters at that address in that year?

Do we have an address for Balmoral House - just a road would do. Your question also assumes he signed on to the e roll.

Have answered my own question. 35/39 Queen's Gate Gardens
Have found the list of people on the eroll in 1949
1634336511149.png

Last edited:
Do we have an address for Balmoral House - just a road would do. Your question also assumes he signed on to the e roll.

Have answered my own question. 35/39 Queen's Gate Gardens
Have found the list of people on the eroll in 1949
View attachment 162504
According to Family oral history Adelaide brought their 2 boys down from Pelsall to try to save the marriage.So this must have been in 1949.

Back