• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Weaman Street and Lancaster street

H Christine

Here are some of Weaman Street to start you off, I'll have a look for some of Lancaster St.

Phil

CityBathSt-WeamanTheBishopsHouseSt.jpg
CitySandSt-WeamanSt.jpg

CityWeamanSt1959.jpg

Another view of Weaman Street - numbers 47 and 48. Most of the view of St. Chads now obliterated by modern buildings. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 77
This is the corner of Weaman Street and Bath Street looking towards St. Chads in 1902. The Bishop's House must have been behind the photographer. Weaman Street must once have been a longer road than it is today. Think the hotel was built over the lower end of the street where it joined Bath Street. Viv

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    468.2 KB · Views: 67
Hi
Thank you so much for your response. Can I ask if the red dot is the address in Weamans Street?
Talking to my Dad today, he was unsure when we found that the census said Weamans Street when my Grandmother told him she was born in Bath Street. Looking at the map though and the red spot it might be that they lived on the corner of Weamans Street and Bath Street. He knows they were near the cathedral.
Sorry to bombard you with questions but as the census says Court 11 do you think they were living in a 'back-to-back'? If so would they have been the front or back house if it was House 2? Colette

hi colette what address in weaman st are you looking for..post 5 with the maps on were posted in june so i dont think they show what you are looking for

lyn

The census says
Bk42 Weamans Street
Court 11 House 2
Thank you for the map and the link though as the photos are great!

hi colette if our map expert mike sees this post i am sure he will post you a map marking out where bk of 42 weaman st was....

happy to help

lyn

Below is a map showing where court 11 Weaman st was and where no 2 court 11 might be, but this is only a guess based on experience. As you can see it was not a normal back to back house , where one nouse backed onto another, but did back onto another building,

Attachments

• map c 1889 showing court 11 Weaman st and probable no 2 court 11.jpg
    map c 1889 showing court 11 Weaman st and probable no 2 court 11.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Thank you for the map, very helpful.
I think can see how the courts worked now - so Court 11 was behind no 42 I presume? Really useful to see the court the house was in, I will pass this on to my Dad (his mom lived in the house). He will be most interested.

Yes , that is correct. Usually they did not put both the court number and the house in front of it, just one or the other, but in your case they put both. Usually where it says "no. x back of ", the number of the house used was the lower number of the house which sat on the street by the side of the entry to the court, there was no 100% rule however, which is what I mean by saying the position of no2 was a guess based on experience. If we look at the map below of your court. the court will be numbered court 11 or back 42, as 42 is lowest numbered house by the entrance to the house. Usually the blue house will be named 1 back 42 ( 1 court 11). However the green house might be 2 back 42 (2 court 11) or 8 back 42 (8 court 11) , or occasionally 1 back 43, depending on how court was numbered.

Attachments

• map c 1889 court 11 Weaman st.jpg
    map c 1889 court 11 Weaman st.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 26
Thank you for all your help!
Very addictive, finding all these snippets of information to put the jigsaw together.
Colette

Hi, I'm researching someone who was born in Weaman Street in 1792. Are there any maps or pictures of Weaman Street at this time?

Maps then were not usually very detailed,. Below is a very plain map of 1792 and a portion of a more detailed map of 1778 showing Weaman St.

1778 map bham  showing weaman St.jpg1792 bham_.jpg

That's interesting. The family I am researching lived on Weaman Street, and on Whithall (Whittall) Street and were 3 or more generations of gun makers / gun finishers.

Back