• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

WDYTYA WW1 & WW2 Bombings Birmingham.

andrewp91

proper brummie kid
Dear Birmingham History Members, I was wondering if it is possible that someone might have a copy or any maps showing where the bombs fell over Birmingham & Surrounding areas during the Worlds Wars. I seen the map on Who Do You Think You Are not so long ago and never knew it existed. Any
mappings of where the bombs fell would be very grateful please and thank you :)

The main areas of interest would be Handsworth, Aston, City Centre, Sheldon/Yardley, and Kings Heath/Moseley. But any other districts would be highly appreciated too for my keepings :)

Kindest Regards
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

As far as I understand you can get a copy of all or parts of the map from Birmingham Central Library, I would imagine it is available in much better resolution that here. The different colour tabs indicate the different type of bomb that fell.

Attachments

• bombmap Map Birmingham bomb map[1].jpg
    bombmap Map Birmingham bomb map[1].jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 50
I have copies of 4 maps covering Kings Heath, but they need to be high res to be able to read, if you send me a Private message with your e-mail address I will send you copies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are some of the bomb plot maps that I have collected over the years from various locations, some of them may even be from this site.

Attachments

• bombmap 1.jpg
    bombmap 1.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 54
  • bombmap 2.jpg
    bombmap 2.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 47
  • bombmap 3.jpg
    bombmap 3.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 52
  • bombmap 4.jpg
    bombmap 4.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 54
  • bombmap 5.jpg
    bombmap 5.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 53
This is the last of them, all I can tell you about them is that black is a HE bomb. red is an incendiary bomb and X is a UXB.

Attachments

• bombmap 6.jpg
    bombmap 6.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 45
  • bombmap 7.jpg
    bombmap 7.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 49
  • bombmap 8.jpg
    bombmap 8.jpg
    446.5 KB · Views: 49
  • bombmap 9.jpg
    bombmap 9.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 44
  • bombmap 10.jpg
    bombmap 10.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
Hi Andrew,

I cannot say with certainty but I am fairly sure that no bombs fell on Birmingham during WW1. If any did it was very few.

Old Boy

Help please. I grew up in the area of map 4 and I know the roads werent built until after WW2. How would they have been marked as it must have been farm land?

Hi Andrew,

I cannot say with certainty but I am fairly sure that no bombs fell on Birmingham during WW1. If any did it was very few.

Old Boy
It certainly does appear to be very few. I have recently purchased a book called "Birmingham, Remembering 1914-18". It was published this year (2014) and is written by Sian Roberts in association with the Library of Birmingham. There was reported to be a Zeppelin raid on 19th October 1917 when an outlying building of the Austin Works was hit and two people injured. Two bombs from a Zeppelin were also dropped on 12th April 1918, landing on the Robin Hood golf course and Manor Farm. No one was injured. The book is well worth getting. I paid £12.99 at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre, Stratford-upon-Avon, but it may be cheaper elsewhere. Dave

Help please. I grew up in the area of map 4 and I know the roads werent built until after WW2. How would they have been marked as it must have been farm land?

I can't say for sure, but I suppose that because the area was all fields at the time they have been imposed over what looks like an early A to Z map for ease of location.

Thanks for this, living in Court Lane, I remember the bombs that hit Goosemoor Lane, but I was surprised when I visited my mother who is now 97 and in a home in Nuneaton and has occasional memory lapses, in trying to make conversation with her I mentioned the map and the people who had died and she instantly recalled taking my sister and I to Erdington on the bus S67 or S76 and seeing the people affected by the raid wandering around aimlessly, some still in night clothes. Although I remember the bomb in Court Lane in the cemetery and one house being destroyed in Goosemoor Lane, I cannot remember this at all. I would have been about 5 at the time. The map has been of great interest

Back