• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Waverley Grammar School

I remember " Float" being a Deputy Head in the 60s at Waverley. I always thought the name referred to the serene way she moved, as if on castors, and her general air of being slightly above it all.

A friend of mine went to Waverley from 1961 until 1966. Name of Barbara Capp , does anyone remember her?
Hi, if you look on birminghamforum ( ? not Birminghamhistoryforum ? ) Waverley Grammar School 'thread' you'll find a message from Barbara to me so you could link up there if you wanted to ( ?preposition at end of sentence ? Ooops )

Thanks Bobrob, it was me who suggested to Barbara to try to make contact with her old friends via either this or the Birmingham forum.
I know Barbara very well. I'm glad she's made some contacts.

I remember " Float" being a Deputy Head in the 60s at Waverley. I always thought the name referred to the serene way she moved, as if on castors, and her general air of being slightly above it all.
Exactly. I don't think her name was Florence either.

I recently learned from a fellow pupil, Gillian Herdman (1951-56), that Miss Howarth's Christian name was Mary.

Thanks Bobrob, it was me who suggested to Barbara to try to make contact with her old friends via either this or the Birmingham forum.
I know Barbara very well. I'm glad she's made some contacts.
Good day, my name is Pat Evans, currently living in Australia. I attended Waverley from 1961-1966 and knew Barbara well. I did try to make contact some years ago but never had a reply. I would love to know how she is doing.

The school operetta in July 1958. Viv.
View attachment 135441View attachment 135442

my grandmother on my father's side attended Waverley Road secondary school which I assume was Waverley Grammar. I only know this because I have a history prize she won in 1906 in form VI, her name was Dorothy Louise Jefferies in those days, later when married my grandfather Dorothy Dry of Moseley. The book in question is Blakes Historical Studies, the book prize is signed by H.Drew Head Teacher and Arthur Palmer Secretary Birmingham Education Commitee.

I'm going back before anywhere to ask where Waverley Secondary school was as my grandmother went there approx 1900 to 1906 where she won a book prize for history in the form VI. All help useful.

Hi,

My grandad has dug out an old photo and has been reminiscing of his time at Waverley. His name is ken (kenny/Kenneth) ball and would’ve been there from 1954-1960 ish i think, it may have been ‘53.

Names on the photo are:
K orgill
B Martin
R Howard
P broom
T brettell
T durrant
T duckett
D Hutchins
C greswold
K Wright
M short
D trevis
L hayward
W Stevens
R keme
A guest (Tony)
L ridding
Kathleen Roberts
Sheila gerrard
Pat Mitchell
Madeline wright
Margaret dobbins
Teresa treweeks
Irene Harris
Ann Seymour
Barbara duffill
Linda cheetham
Pauline philpotts
Gillian small
Maureen whick
Janet Cooper
Janice cotterell

Would be nice to hear if anyone remembers him.

Thanks

Aimee

Attachments

• 6C7AEDFE-0A98-416B-A4BA-BFD9D7B9BE91.jpeg
    6C7AEDFE-0A98-416B-A4BA-BFD9D7B9BE91.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
My wife was at Waverley 51-56 she remembered the form master Mr "Butch" Frost, who was an English Language teacher. She also recalled a German Language teacher Miss Stansfield(Stanna) but with less affection!

I attended Waverley Grammar School and in 1957/8 sang Faure's Requiem with B'ham Grammar Schools Choir (I believe that was its name but correct me if this is wrong!) at the Town Hall accompanied by the CBSO conducted by Gilbert Vinter. The performance was televised live by the BBC. I am amazed that I cannot find any reference to the choir or the performances in this Forum or the CBSO website (that does not even mention Gilbert Vinter)!! The choir existed for several years to my knowledge and I know Faure's Requiem was not the only performance televised by the BBC. Please can anyone confirm my memory bank is not totally addled?

It was on the Radio 15.00 pm 18th December 1955

View attachment 149840
Thanks for that amazingly quick response Rob. However, I was not involved in that event - I know for sure the performance was during my time in the 6th Form ie between Sept 1956 and June 1958. It was not at Queensbridge School and definitely involved kids from other schools too (more than a 100 in the choir I would say). My recollection was it took place on a Sunday afternoon and must have been on either BBC 1 or ITV as no other channels at that time. Your comment has prompted me to search via the TV channels - so far I had only searched via google for "B'ham Grammar Schools choir", "CBSO performing Faure's Requiem" and "Gilbert Vinter" with no luck. I got Vinter's history but it didn't mention my event!
I was at WGS from Sept 1951. I attended some school reunions (focused on my generation), the last one was organised by Dave Rock in about 2006 ish. Would I know you? Thanks again

Thanks for that amazingly quick response Rob. However, I was not involved in that event - I know for sure the performance was during my time in the 6th Form ie between Sept 1956 and June 1958. It was not at Queensbridge School and definitely involved kids from other schools too (more than a 100 in the choir I would say). My recollection was it took place on a Sunday afternoon and must have been on either BBC 1 or ITV as no other channels at that time. Your comment has prompted me to search via the TV channels - so far I had only searched via google for "B'ham Grammar Schools choir", "CBSO performing Faure's Requiem" and "Gilbert Vinter" with no luck. I got Vinter's history but it didn't mention my event!
I was at WGS from Sept 1951. I attended some school reunions (focused on my generation), the last one was organised by Dave Rock in about 2006 ish. Would I know you? Thanks again
Noel were you involved with the production of Jupiter Rejuvenatus in around 1955?

I attended Waverley from 1943 to 1948 and was in contact with the Old Waverlians Soc.. around 2000 but that passed away and I think nearly everyone of my time has done the same. Just have a couple of contacts of my era Albert Hope , Eric Bignell.
Would welcome contact with anyone from that period.

Hi
I went to Waverley Grammar school & have a lot of old school stuff from the 50s,60s &70s which I have accumulated through various channels, if anyone has any questions please mail me.
I also have a good collection of photographs both scroll type & pictures from the operas & plays.
Look forward to hearing from anyone out there.
Cheers
Dave Rock

My dad Alan Smith taught briefly at Waverly I believe. I have a copy of a reference that mentions there was some transfer of teachers and pupils from Queensbridge School Moseley to Waverly in September 1956. Any information or photos related to that or that era ?
He's is now in a care home and has limited memory of the period.

Thanks

Mike Smith

My dad Alan Smith taught briefly at Waverly I believe. I have a copy of a reference that mentions there was some transfer of teachers and pupils from Queensbridge School Moseley to Waverly in September 1956. Any information or photos related to that or that era ?
He's is now in a care home and has limited memory of the period.

Thanks

Mike Smith

Back