• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Watsonia sidecars

View attachment 139353
Here's my BSA A7 Combo in 1965. I've no idea what make the D/A sidecar was. I used to park it on the road at night complete with hurricane lamp (half painted red) chained to the frame. One winter morning I came out the house on my way to work, got on the bike and as I kicked her over it felt different, sort of heavier. I looked in the car and saw what looked like a pile of coats. On opening the door I was amazed to see a tramp asleep. I shook him awake and said "Sorry mate, I'm going to work, you've got to get out" Without saying a word, he got out, gathered his clothing into a sack and shuffled off down the road. I've often thought about him and hope he turned his life around at some stage.
what a nice story. thanks

I remember my dad used to speak about Jim Bennett dad worked there 50s and 60s name of Sydney Thomas also my uncle Ben Willetts
one of my uncle's Gerald Thomas lived in the houses opposite the factory think the firm rented them out

I know its a bit off topic but when I was 16 maybe 17 I worked for a company building Sidecars in a building off Ash Road Saltley called Rankin Sidecars, all were hand made except the chassis which were bought in, but the bodies were made there, my job was to cut out the sides and such using templates, 12 at a time using a jigsaw freehand, I was the youngest there all the rest were then old men, to me then any road, they even let me use the jigs to put one together, as it was also my job to supply the bits, I was paid the magnificent sum of £5 a week, mind you I lost my first wage packet, because I posted it, theyd given me the post and I sat next to the box at the bottom of the hill awaiting the postman, he then wouldnt allow me to search the post and drove off, but next day there was a envelope addressed to me at work, my wages were in it.
Hi
I know this is a long shot but if you are still there what memories have you of rankin sidecars
cheers
glen

Hi
I know this is a long shot but if you are still there what memories have you of rankin sidecars
cheers
glen
Hi welcome to Birmingham History Forum. Member bobbyb has not been on the forun since 2011. As a long shoot, you may try to contact via a direct message.

1950 998 cc Watsonian-JAP (Prototype)….Manufacturer Watsonian Sidecars Ltd, Albion Road, Greet, Birmingham.

“Perhaps the most unexpected motorcycle in the whole museum, the vast Watsonian twin was built by the celebrated sidecar manufacturers. Sidecar is a Watsonian Monaco with glass-fibre allied to a metal centre section.”

Classic British motorcycles of over 500cc from the National Motorcycle Museum​

by Currie, Bob.Publication date 1988

C1FFE764-5AD7-4F4B-9B57-6DE1D2B60B99.jpeg4AEB7F1D-8327-4BB3-9C6F-7B66A2B75834.jpeg

Back