• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Watsonia sidecars

F

Frantic

Yesterday, I went, as usual to the auctions in Albany. One item for auction was a book about sidecars. One of the main ones to feature was "Watsonian Sidecars of Birmingham". Do any of our knowledgable historians have any background info on the company. My dad had a "Combo" for many years and I remember that my uncle made my dad's sidecar in the back yard. I think that he may have worked for Watsonia at the time because he made an excellent job of my dad's sidecar.

Watsonian sidecars were very popular in the 50s, our Dad had a couple of combination bikes with Watsonian sidecars and they are still going strong to this day, but they're based in, I think, Gloucester now.
In passing can I just mention that our dad's last sidecar was a Swallow, I believe they were Watsonian's main rivals in the 60s.
Swallow Sidecars later went on to become Jaguar Cars ;)

I can see it now Postie, thanks. Coincidentaly, my wife comes from Tysely too. Maybe Tysely was famous for producing items that latch onto the side of you, and you have to drag them with you everywhere you go ;D (just checking that she isn't looking over my shoulder) :D

Hi - All the top sidecar outfits used Watsonian sidecars. For instance Norton's world champion Eric Oliver,and I think also Cyril Smith. The car becoming more affordable really was the start of the end of sidecars in the UK.

Slightly off topic, but I think there was a sidecar factory in Greenway St, Small Heath at some time in the 40s or 50s.

Ring a bll with anybody else ?

Yesterday, I went, as usual to the auctions in Albany. One item for auction was a book about sidecars. One of the main ones to feature was "Watsonian Sidecars of Birmingham". Do any of our knowledgable historians have any background info on the company. My dad had a "Combo" for many years and I remember that my uncle made my dad's sidecar in the back yard. I think that he may have worked for Watsonia at the time because he made an excellent job of my dad's sidecar.
The attached picture was taken by my Grandfather in 1919 at Lands End. The person on the left is F J Watson one of the brothers who formed Watsonian Sidecars. There factory was for many years in Greet, This is now on the Cotswolds. https://www.flickr.com/photos/g1ulz/1418722057/in/set-72157602073893291/

I know its a bit off topic but when I was 16 maybe 17 I worked for a company building Sidecars in a building off Ash Road Saltley called Rankin Sidecars, all were hand made except the chassis which were bought in, but the bodies were made there, my job was to cut out the sides and such using templates, 12 at a time using a jigsaw freehand, I was the youngest there all the rest were then old men, to me then any road, they even let me use the jigs to put one together, as it was also my job to supply the bits, I was paid the magnificent sum of £5 a week, mind you I lost my first wage packet, because I posted it, theyd given me the post and I sat next to the box at the bottom of the hill awaiting the postman, he then wouldnt allow me to search the post and drove off, but next day there was a envelope addressed to me at work, my wages were in it.

Thought this might be of interest
View attachment 44670
pencil.png

Took me awhile but Ive remembered the company I worked for Rankin Sidecars. must be age and its always been on the tip of my tongue.

Hi All, I was born in Albion Road, Greet. The front door of the house we lived in was right oppsite the watsonian Sidecar company. I remember in the 50s (I am 62 years old) meeting some of the top riders of the day John Surtees, Stirling Moss I know he drove cars. They also built motorbikes and eventially went into making Dodgem cars and even experimented with one arm bandits. Another product they made was a childs toy car but it had a petrol engine in it. At the time of the Dodgems I was in the sea cadets and had a photograph taken sitting in one which was used in a magazine. I have some photographs taken of the outside of the works in the early 1950s which I will gladly post on this site. For those interested there is a Watsonian motorcycle in the motocycle museum.

Watching a favourite television programme this afternoon, "The Repair Shop" and an interesting item was brought in for repair, a Watsonian Bicycle sidecar. I didn't know they made such an item but searching the internet there are several offered for sale all dating from the 1920s /30s. The restorer made an excellent job of the repair and the Watsonian name, address in Albion Rd., was highlighted on screen.

Back