• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Watery Lane

sheri

master brummie
Does anyone know anything about Watery Lane, Aston. I know all the back to backs have gone but I wondered if anyone had any old photos. Various members of my families lived there for about 80 years.
Thank you for any help you can give.
Sheri

:)Sheri I can't think of a Watery lane in Aston but I used to work in one at Small Heath many years ago. I knew a few of the locals from that road. Jean. :)

My gran was born in Watery Lane, it is very close to Birmingham City ground. When I went looking for it in the 80's there were a few houses still standing.

This is Watery Lane near St Andrews.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10098&ox=4675&oy=2000&zm=1&czm=1&x=424&y=414

From such lowly beginings... Villa Whompers were born...

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...d=10099&ox=797&oy=2459&zm=1&czm=1&x=323&y=143

Looks like they had to play on the sandies.

I know this is not Watery Lane but it is close. The original football pitch of Birmingham FC when it was called Small Heath Alliance : Off Muntz Lane at the bottom of Wright Street...circa 1877.
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...d=10103&ox=2738&oy=216&zm=1&czm=1&x=256&y=407

Last edited:
Picture of Watery Lane, The Barrell pub, Watery Lane

Attachments

• Small Heath Watery Lane The Barrel.jpg
    Small Heath Watery Lane The Barrel.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
There's your Inn postie; NW corner of Adderley Street and Watery Lane.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...d=10098&ox=4675&oy=2774&zm=1&czm=1&x=488&y=21

Have not found other photo yet. These photo's and pictures realy make the map more meanigful to look at.

Ok. I think that the houses are opposite Little Barr Street by looking at the small gardens in front and counting the number of houses and entry's. Also there seems to be a larger thru-way at the near end but not a street.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10098&ox=4675&oy=1402&zm=1&czm=1&x=361&y=428

Last edited:
:)Postie. The yard next door was owned by a Mr Gibbons in the 50's and 60's. I was once engaged to his son Harry. :redface:

Thank you all so much for the information on Watery Lane. My mother was born there but didn't talk about it much. I wasn't sure whether it was in Aston/Deritend/Boardsley or Small Heath. I'm afraid I don't know that side of the city at all. I believe that some of Watery Lane is still there but maybe part of the road system.
Anyway thank you all for your help.
Sheri

Sheri,

I don't think anyone has mentioned that Watery Lane ran from Coventry Rd Small Heath to Great Barr St.

All of Watery Lane is still there, but it is bereft of housing except that of new build. Some of the original industrial buildings remain, though most of them now are used for different purposes. It is a busy road, but then it always has been.

Attachments

• Bordesley x.jpg
    Bordesley x.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
brummie nick

I believe they are post offices, and the red lines are postal districts.

Thank you so much for the replies and for the maps. It gives me some perspective as to where it was. Another question for you - does anyone know the nearest school both primary and secondary where my mother could have gone.

Di, my mother, grandmother and greatgrandmother also my great grandfather were born in Watery Lane. I wonder if there is a connection.
Sheri

Sheri, my Gran was a Carter and although she was born in Watery Lane in 1876 her parents lived in St Andrews Street which was just around the corner. I still can't make a connection with Watery Lane and the family.:)

Thank you for your replies. I'm sorry I haven't replied before but my broadband was down for several days and it only came back on this morning - bless BT.
Sheri

Good morning everyone,
Postie, would the Garrison Lane School have been the secondary school?
The headmistress of my mother's school was very kind to her seeing potential in her and helping her obtain a scholarship almost impossible for a girl from her background. It would have been in the early 1920's. I don't suppose anyone knows the name of the headmistress - a very long shot I know.
Many thanks, Sheri

Hi Sheri, in 1933 Garrison Lane School was a Junior and Infants, in charge of H C Wise.Your Mother may well have gone to Tilton Rd Girls school under the leadership of Miss M.G. Beston.
Hope this helps in some way.

Hi Postie,
Thanks for that information. It's interesting because there's a nice little story to that involving my mother.
Sheri

Hello Sheri (if you're still watching),

I'm still piecing things together on this (and I haven't checked the maps people have posted yet), but Arthur Rathbone, my grandfather on my mother's side, was born on the 2nd July 1885 at 38 Court, Watery Lane. In 1906 he was playing for the football team called Small Heath Rovers (or 'Alliance', or similar) which came to be Birmingham City Football Club. This link has been mentioned by someone else on the forum, so I assume Watery Lane was in or near Coventry Road/Small Heath. I have a football team photo from that year, which includes my grandfather, which I will post here once I've made a digital copy of it.

Arthur's parents, Henry Rathbone (aged 23) and Ann (ne Gold, aged 22, also known as Hannah, and previously of Birchall Street, wherever that was) were shown on the 1881 census as living at this address, with a son, also called Henry.

Arthur came to marry Nellie Brown and have 4 daughters, one of whom, Ann Rathbone, was my mother. She is dead now, but I'm pretty sure she went to Garrison Lane school. I think it was there that she won a prize for winning the school table tennis tournament, something she was always very proud of. In 1908 when Arthur and Nellie married, they were living at 14 and 13 Garrison Street, respectively, so I assume they had and brought up my mother through her school years while they were living there.

Back