• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Watery Lane

I guessed it was not filmed in Watery lane as the last time I was there none of the old back to back left its still good to watch did you live in the lane it was a lovely place

My mothers family on both sides lived there for many years - she moved away I think in 1931 when her mother died. I have suspicions that some of the men were involved with the gangs as I have been told they were a bit 'rough'. So this programme is of particular interest.
Sheri

The greengrocers was on the opposite side of Kingston Hill to the Barrel. The shop next door to the Barrel on Kingston Hill was occupied by Mr Shepherd I can't say if he was

married to the lady or if they were brother and sister, what I remember was when we were kids we used buy our sticks of Spanish Root from there

John Pegg

Does anyone remember the pig sty's in Watery Lane almost by Coventry Road..i used to go there in the mornings to do the pig swill before I went to school..can't remember how much the man used to give me though

My grandfather was born in Watery Lane in 1903. His mum gave birth to him illegitimately at the age of 17 and had a baby daughter there, also illegitimately at the age of 19. My grandfather remembers seeing his father nearly beat a man to death, trying to get money from him. Hard times.....

My grandad William Thursfield ran the Coachsmiths Arms for a while...any photo's anyone please?

Here is a picture that shows apart of the Coachsmiths Arms that I took around 1970

24A_coachsmiths_arms_.jpg

My grandfather Tom Curley was born at 9 Court 1 St Andrews Road on April 29th 1918....... His parents James & Gertrude Curley were still there on the 1927 Electrol Roll. Later moving to Alma St Aston as landlord to the Salutation Inn. Tom was a variety entertainer and stand up comedian. He stood on the terraces of St Andrews every home game!

Hi Edward. I lived at 4/192 Watery Lane in the yard Do you remember the Mustin family? There were many of us Nan, aunties etc but i lived there from 1956 to 1962 & attended St. Andrews school. I vaguely remember Raymond Griffiths & Ivor Davis lived at the top of our yard. Sue Mustin.

Sheila, I remember Mrs. Gaunts shop well. I lived up one of the entries close by at 4/192 Watery Lane. Have you seen the picture with the kids outside the shop, im sure one of the boys is Ivor Davis who lived at the top of our yard. Great memories. My name is Susan Mustin.

a couple of these photos have been posted on the barrel pub watery lane thread but they also need to go on here along with what i hope will be a few new ones to the forum..locations dates and house numbering are on most photos..please excuse any errors as this is not my neck o the woods

oh on some photos it will say no 18 or 19 etc this only means its the number of the photo not the number of watery lane..

i have also moved this thread to the neighbours and streets section

enjoy

lyn

Attachments

• watery lane high stool cafe 1960.jpg
    watery lane high stool cafe 1960.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Watery Lane No 259 274 7th June 1960.jpg
    Watery Lane No 259 274 7th June 1960.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Watery Lane Whitfield and Co 8-5-56.jpg
    Watery Lane Whitfield and Co 8-5-56.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
next 4

Attachments

• No 08 Causers Cafe and housing 23 Watery Lane 08.01.63 - Copy.jpg
    No 08 Causers Cafe and housing 23 Watery Lane 08.01.63 - Copy.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 88
  • No 11 Housing. taxi rank. Shop 23 Water Lane 08.01.63 - Copy.jpg
    No 11 Housing. taxi rank. Shop 23 Water Lane 08.01.63 - Copy.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 87
  • No 18 Garage. Watery Lane Dart St. 13.11.61.jpg
    No 18 Garage. Watery Lane Dart St. 13.11.61.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 83
  • No 19 Watery Lane. 8.05.56.jpg
    No 19 Watery Lane. 8.05.56.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 89
next 4..

pic 1 is actually st andrews road wast ground...

Attachments

• No 20 Watey Lane. 08.05.56.jpg
    No 20 Watey Lane. 08.05.56.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 91
  • No 21 Watery Lane - Dart Street 28-11-1963.jpg
    No 21 Watery Lane - Dart Street 28-11-1963.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 84
  • No 22 Watery Lane - Dart Street 28-11-1963.jpg
    No 22 Watery Lane - Dart Street 28-11-1963.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 90
  • No 23 197-208 Watery Lane Bordersley 8-6-1972.jpg
    No 23 197-208 Watery Lane Bordersley 8-6-1972.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
last 2 folks

lyn

Attachments

• No 27 Coventry Road and Watery Lane 8-5-1956.jpg
    No 27 Coventry Road and Watery Lane 8-5-1956.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 85
  • No 28 Taken from Dart Street Coventry Road and Watery Lane .jpg
    No 28 Taken from Dart Street Coventry Road and Watery Lane .jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 86
mike could i have a map please showing 197 to 208 watery lane...just trying to make sure that pic 4 on post 113 is correct

thank you mike

That's a super set of photos Lyn, I remember the High Stool Café; frequented the place a few time while working at East and West Lodge Parmer St

Hi, my 3rd great grandfather Thomas Sheppard lived in Watery Lane, Boardsley in 1851. Its listed next to 172 Watery Lane, difficult to see the full address it looks like Sh???? Building, Watery Lane. Does anyone know what it might have been. Thanks
My 3rd great grandfather was also called Thomas Sheppard. He had a son William James (married Nora Maria Rawlins) and they had William, Thomas, Lucy, Charles, Nora, George, Ada, Arthur, Edward, Harold, Leslie and Florrie. Their 2nd son Thomas Henry was my great grandfather. Could this be the same family as yours?

Does anyone remember the pig sty's in Watery Lane almost by Coventry Road..i used to go there in the mornings to do the pig swill before I went to school..can't remember how much the man used to give me though
Yes I can remember the piggery. It was located on the corner of Watery Lane and Dart St. The way my Nan, Aunt and Mom saved leftovers, made me think they - and others - had shares in the pigs. Perhaps a carryover from WWII?

Back