• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Watery Lane

Hello Morturn, who knows we could have been there at the same time. it was a stop off for some of the Birmingham City players at times. I also used to go into the cafe further up the road on the corner of Keeley St i think it was called the White Hart. ( Great chips.) All the best FT.

I lived in Watery Lane Small Heath in the early 50's I am 71years old now..only lived there or a few years..but my memories of Watery Lane were lovely

I lived in Watery Lane in a back to back house and there was a factory at the top of our yard. wonder if anyone remembers it

I live right next door to Mrs Gaunt's shop My brother and me used to sit on the shop step..and we people would call us the Bisto Kids

There was a Green grocers shop a couple of doors away from me in Watery Lane on the corner opposite the Barrel pub

I remember Mr and Mrs Gaunt very well..my mom always used to send me into the shop for strap..i lived next door to the shop

Is anyone watching 'The Peaky Blinders' series on BBC2, Thursday nights? It is set around 1920 in the Watery Lane, Garrison Land, Summer Lane district. If you have missed the first two programmes (I think there's going to be 6), you can watch them on BBC i player.

Hi Sheila welcome to the forum. Do you remember the Gibbon family. Harry senior had the transport company there at that time?.

Hi! GG Jean thank you for the welcome..no im sorry I did not know the Gibbon family..i was only there for a few years from the age of 7 till I was 13 then was sent to live with my Gran because of hard times..but I still enjoy the memories of Watery Lane.sorry if I've repeated this but not sure how to use this properly yet

Sheri, I lived in Watery Lane for a short while, during the 2nd WW, and we live above the greengrocers shop opposite the Barrell Pub. The greengrocers and the Pub stood on the junction of Watery Lane, Kingston Hill, and Adderley Street. With regards to the schools around that area they were Garrison Lane School, Ada Road which if she went there it would have been for primary/juniors after which she would have probably moved to Tilton Road Senior Girls. In those days Ada Road Seniors were for Boys only. There was a school in Allcocks Street I believe was called St Annes this was eventually taken over by the AFS (Auxiliary Fire Service) and it would not have been too far away from Watery Lane. It would have been no different to when I used to walk from Lower Trinity St to Ada Road for my schooling. That's something that mothers can't let their children do today.

I remember Mr and Mrs Gaunt very well..my mom always used to send me into the shop for strap..i lived next door to the shop
hello sheila I lived in watery lane from 1951 till 1967 I remember mr and mrs Gaunt, I used go for corn beef and cheese they had a sliceing machine they came back to collect the strap mr gaunt had a hoppy leg we used to play on kingston hill park and on the cut by the anchor pub there was two shop on the other side of the lane
one mrs quinney, and the other miss thomas. I went to ada road school

• :stung:

I have been watching the Peaky Blinders and as you say it is set around the areas you mentioned including Adderley Street. It is obvious they could not film in those areas now

due to the update of that area, so as I understand it is filmed partly in Leeds and partly in the Black Country Museum.

There was a Green grocers shop a couple of doors away from me in Watery Lane on the corner opposite the Barrel pub
its me Edward again I forgot to tell you the grocers shop was run by a family called Fitters who lived there many years, next to the Barrel on Kingston hill was a shop run by
what supposed to be husband and wife but my mom used to say they where brother and sister I have just a picture of the barrel pub put on by Jhon j Pegg I will say bye for now:stung:

Back