• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Watery lane canal

Shelagh

Shelagh
Hi, Hope someone maybe able to help me ,I received the inquest report on my grand mother from 1954 last week .She committed suicide by drowning in the canal at Bolton street with watery lane. There was a cafe in front of canal and they gave the alarm and helped recover her.the cafe was called the white Hart and the owners name was John Mathews and the address was 215 watery lane.
Does anyone remember either the cafe or the event?
My friend used to be at a cafe until she was three ,which was 15 watery lane,opposite the park,so I assume that is now Halfords.Somewhere close to the small retail park on the left going toward town is number 73 ,which is almost opposite the bridge(under the road) of the Bolton st /watery lane canal,the big puzzle is where was 215 in this area.
The cafe owner said "the part of the canal where the deceased was found Was about 100 yards from watery lane,where there is a gateway leading from watery lane onto the canal side"
does any one know where this is ? shelagh

There is a "watery Lane " thread with some photos type it into the search box (top R/h corner. Dek

Shelagh

On the new photo it shows two accesses to the canal, one would have been off Watery lane, the ramp coming from the left of the photo on Watery Lane and the other coming down from the top of the photo from Bolton St. As John points out in his map things have changed quite a lot since those days and Watery Lane is now about 4 times as wide as it was then.

The older photo shoes how it looked at that time as this is the garage that I believe is still standing next to the canal itself today So would have been more or less opposite the café.

Phil

waterylane.jpg
SmallHeathWateryLanex.jpg

Thanks to the three of you for your info ,much appreciated,off with the map and photo to have a look.
thanks again.
Shelagh

i think i maybe able to help you..i used to live in Watery Lane about that time..and i remember the drowning very well

i think i maybe able to help you..i used to live in Watery Lane about that time..and i remember the drowning very well
Hi Sheila. I am interested in the White Hart which I believe was a pub, not a cafe. Next to the White Hart was my granddad's bicycle hire shop 216. I would love to hear of any memories you have

Hi, Hope someone maybe able to help me ,I received the inquest report on my grand mother from 1954 last week .She committed suicide by drowning in the canal at Bolton street with watery lane. There was a cafe in front of canal and they gave the alarm and helped recover her.the cafe was called the white Hart and the owners name was John Mathews and the address was 215 watery lane.
Does anyone remember either the cafe or the event?
My friend used to be at a cafe until she was three ,which was 15 watery lane,opposite the park,so I assume that is now Halfords.Somewhere close to the small retail park on the left going toward town is number 73 ,which is almost opposite the bridge(under the road) of the Bolton st /watery lane canal,the big puzzle is where was 215 in this area.
The cafe owner said "the part of the canal where the deceased was found Was about 100 yards from watery lane,where there is a gateway leading from watery lane onto the canal side"
does any one know where this is ? shelagh
Hi Shelagh! My granddad had a bicycle hire shop at 216 Watery Lane in the 1920's. I think the White Hart was a pub which was next door. My granddads shop was on the corner of Watery Lane and Keeley Street so you can maybe get your bearings from there. Good Luck x

Back